Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

speeding fan after HDD install.

Hi every body

Anybody found a fix for this. I upgraded my 500GB to 1TB/ssd hybrid Seagate. and fan going mental and loud. got a mac mini 2012.

I have goggled this, and looks like a common problem, I tried 3rd party ssd fan control, and it slowed t down for 2 seconds, and the boom back up again.

I do believe the original hard drives, like in the iMac (all models previous to Late 2012), has a built-in temperature sensor that you need to account for.

If the logic board can't find the sensor or the sensor gets an odd reading, the fan(s) will go haywire, to make sure that no hardware is damaged due to overheating.

So if i were to put back the original hard drive to see how my Mac Mini responded.

If the fans operate at normal RPM's,that woyld be the problem I believe. I haven't done this yet, as I think it is this. I will though, but any tips would be great, I mean the mac mini 2012 is running good and fast, and all is back to normal just the fan is doing my head in. Sounds lke a hairdryer, or a broken down tv with no signal on volume. lol

😕

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Super drive, dvd prob

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 8:41 AM

10 replies

Jul 12, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Gedfromgbr

I've always had very good luck with PNY Flash Drives and SD Cards, so I decided to give one of their SSDs a shot. The bench mark tests and reviews were good, so I went out on the limb and bought a PNY CS1100 Series 240GB SSD from Best Buy for $85.

Because the 240GB SSD is not large enough for all off my music and photos. I kept all of that on my 7200rpm Hitachi HDD which I moved to the upper bay using OWCs DataDoubler kit and only run OS X and Apps on the SSD in the lower bay. All in all everything worked out great, the SSD is way faster than the 7200rpm HDD and there is no lag at all between the two when it comes to accessing my large music or photo libraries.

Jul 12, 2015 10:39 AM in response to den.thed

Cool that s the reason am doing It is for my music. Hey man, if I put the 500GB back in to stop this terrible noise, might get separate SSD can I run the 1TB/ SSD from a adapter or something? IOts just that if the mac mini doesn't take it I am stuck with a hybrid, which to be honest, is really rapid and good, but I cant put up with that noise. I know I can run my mac ok, but the noise is a nightmare, Is there a usb stand or something I could use? with the 500GB as the main one.

Jul 12, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Gedfromgbr

Your original 2012 HDD does have any built in temp sensor. I have changed several mini drives using both SSD and Hybrid and no fan speed issues. Something else is driving this on your Mini. Perhaps when you made the change you did not get all the small cables connected back securely or you damaged the connector when removing/installing..

speeding fan after HDD install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.