Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.5.3

Using OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. After upgrading to pages 5.5.3, new docs saved in 5.5.3 cannot be opened without pressing additional key "default 5.5.3" .

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 11:00 AM

There is a forum for both OS X and for Pages, would you like your post moved to one of those? If so please indicate which one.

11 replies

Jul 12, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Kuthumi

All of the following are ways to open a Pages v5.5.3 document on Yosemite:

1. Control right-click/right click with a mouse/two-finger tap with a trackpad then:

Select the Open with menu item: Pages (default) (5.5.3)

2. Double-click the Pages document icon
  3. Drag/Drop the Pages document icon onto the Pages application icon in the Dock
  4. Select the document icon from the File chooser
  5. File ▷ Open… menu item, and then the File chooser
  6. File â–· Recent Items menu

And finally, you can open a Pages v5.5.3 document in Preview as read-only.

Jul 13, 2015 9:52 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter, thanks for your reply. Indeed your suggestion--"Open the document by right clicking on it and opening with Pages 5.5.3" -- is unfortunately the clumsy extra step I am forced to now do, ever since I upgraded to 5.5.3.

I did keep iWork 09/Pages.app on my HD, because I suspect I will not be able to open docs saved in that app with 5.5.3. Unless you can guarantee that I will not lose old docs saved in iWork 09/Pages.app, then I will not risk removing iWork 09/Pages.app from my HD, which leaves me where I am-- stuck with the clumsy extra step, mentioned above. Hardly a smoothly streamlined function, nest pas?

BTW: Before I upgraded to 5.5.3 I did a bit of research on a different MAC forum. Some very sharp geek types were "trembling in trepidation" as regards Pages 5.5.3-- very aware it was full of issues. Steve Jobs is probably frowning--he'd be sure to find a solution for this.

Thanks just the same

Julie

Jul 13, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Kuthumi

Steve Jobs caused many equally as unpleasant and often pointless changes, he certainly would not be your saviour even if he were still with us.

iWork '09 is superior to the current Apps. Pages '09 has 100+ features that are missing in Pages 5.5.3 and is less buggy.

You can keep using iWork '09. Pages 5.5.3 will open Pages '09 files but may change them. Pages '09 can not open Pages 5.5.3 files, in fact no older version of Pages can and worse, no older Mac using older versions of OSX can.

You will continue to have major compatibility and productivity issues with Pages 5, most of us experienced users are ignoring it and continuing with Pages '09 until something better comes along. Possibly Affinity Publisher later this year

Peter

Jul 13, 2015 5:16 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Aha! Thanks for this quite insightful answer; I shall do as you say and use Pages'09.

P.S. Were it not for the syncretic, creative genius of 'Saint Steve' we would not be so blessed with these incredible Apple toys. I am eternally grateful, even if he did act like a caged tiger sometimes. I am Apple to the core, and yes, indeed--Steve will always be the Apple of my eye. Thanks again for your help.😉

Jul 13, 2015 10:13 PM in response to Kuthumi

Hi Julie,

If you want the Pages '09 app to open Pages '09 documents, drag the icon from Applications Folder > iWork '09 to your Dock.

User uploaded file

Pages '09 on the left (running, as shown by the dot beneath the icon).

Pages 5.5.3 on the right (not running).

Double click on a Pages '09 document in Finder.

User uploaded file

It will open in Pages '09, but only if Pages '09 is already running, and Pages 5 is not running.

If both or neither are running, Pages 5 is the default.

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 12, 2015 8:11 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter, you mentioned something called Affinity Publisher, and am curious. I have written and published about 6 books using Pages - the Page Layout part of the app, not the word processing part. I have used Pages 09 ver. 4.3, and have been very happy with it. I have never upgraded my computer to Yosemite because the Pages app for that OS system was so poorly reviews on these forums. In reading the information on the latest Pages version 5.5.3, it appears to be a Word Processing program, Not a page layout program. 1. Is that correct, and 2. what do you suggest in my making decisions about even upgrading to El Capitan, as well as the built-in apps? I might have to buy InDesign, or something else. I hate the iPhoto program, as it has been "dumbed-down" so you can do practically nothing useful with it unless you want photos of your kids birthday grouped into events. I may have to buy Apeture for real photo editing, file management, and printing capability. I know this has various subjects mentioned, but they are all related. Thanks.

Pages 5.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.