Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I reset admin name. All my files are gone after restarting but applications and Safari bookmarks still available. How do I restore my files?!

I changed the admin name using advanced settings in the Users section. It prompted me to restart my computer and I lost all my files, accounts, and photos. It looks like a total reset except my applications (Microsoft Word, Spotify) are still here and so are my Safari bookmarks. When I open Microsoft Word it looks like I just downloaded it making me completely go through the introduction process.

Not sure what happened. I hope there is a way to restore my old files.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2016 11:35 PM

SOLVED:

1. go to users and group in settings,

2. on the admin account hold Ctrl then hold click,move to "advanced options"

3. in the box click on change button,

4. now choose your old admin,

5. accept restarting your computer and all will be back

16 replies

Feb 6, 2017 3:46 AM in response to TaffyVan

I was devastated when this happened to me. I thought if I could just reverse things even if it meant keeping the old name in my user. I changed the username back. I hoped and prayed and thankfully everything but a newly downloaded software was back. Maybe you can try the same. Go back into your user and through the advanced user changes, type in your old username. Hopefully this works for you as it did for me. Good luck !

Jul 12, 2015 5:53 PM in response to TaffyVan

You are not supposed to edit those settings unless you understand what they will do as the red warning suggests. Backups are essential if you value your data.

Open /Users (use the Finders 'Go menu > Go to Folder…' to open that location). It may have all your old files still within the home directory inside that folder. See if you can see the old home directory - please do not try to remove or edit items in there - you won't have permission for most of those files & changing the permissions may damage any future attempts to undo the damage.

If you can see the old home folder let us know, you may be able to create a new user with that data. It would also help to know what the name of that old home folder is.

Do you still have an admin account on this Mac?

Jul 13, 2015 7:33 AM in response to TaffyVan

I don't know what actually happened but if you cannot find any copy of the original home folder you are out of luck. You can't just change a username by randomly editing settings - there is a specific set of steps to take otherwise bad things can happen. Double, triple check that you can't see anything that looks familiar in /Users.

You can take it to a professional data recovery company & explain what you did, they may be able to help by scouring the disk for any old files. You can also do that via various third party data recovery apps, however I'd leave it up to the professionals - it is your best hope of getting any data but they can be expensive. The type of disk & how much new data is written can effect how much is recovered so you must stop using the disk ASAP if you hope to recover any data - otherwise files may be overwritten by new ones, ruining the chance of recovery.

I don't know what the blurry background image is, it sounds like it could be a low resolution image that may be in a system cache, frankly that sounds useless to you.

I'm sorry this has happened, but you need to take responsibility & decide how much you can spend to get some of the data back. Take it to an Apple store if you want some additional advice, but I think they may only repeat what has been said here.

Aug 16, 2015 9:12 AM in response to SandraMaci

Please explain how you changed the name, it may alter how you need to resolve it, especially if you changed any other values in the advanced panel, or by some other means.

Gather some info you will need…

In the Finder 'Go menu > Go to folder', enter /Users and click 'Go'.

In the window that opens make a note the name of the old user account on paper (the one with all your important files). Be sure you have the correct home folder.

I'd suggest you make a backup, it seems like your data is OK, but it can help to be safe - if you can create a full copy of the Mac it would protect you from any more mistakes.

Do you have an external disk to do that?

Do you have any form of backup? You do not want to delete any older backups to make the new one.

I reset admin name. All my files are gone after restarting but applications and Safari bookmarks still available. How do I restore my files?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.