Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Single Sign on Mac to Windows Server via AD

Hi ya,
Is it possible to have a Mac that is already integrated into AD to not require a user to sign in to servers but use the credentials it already has?

Thanks for any help
-Steve

G4 17" Powerbook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2006 6:33 AM

15 replies

Oct 30, 2006 1:19 PM in response to DLevine

Thanks for getting back to me David,
Like when you have already logged into the Mac with an AD username and password, with those credentials the windows servers should know who I am and let me have access to the servers and shares I have rights to without me having to login again with the same username and password I've just used.

Hope this is clear David

-Steve

Oct 30, 2006 3:34 PM in response to MacMonkey

Aha.... Gotcha...

So Anthony is correct. You need to have your Mac "bound" to the AD domain. Really not a big deal to do... its rpetty easy in fact...

1. Make sure that you have all of your computers' time sync'ed. I have one of my domain controllers setup as an SNTP server. I define that computer in our Mac's date and time applet as the time source.
2. Go to Utilities/Directory Access
3. Click on Active Directory and click Configure
4. Setup your specific information. (Really just computer name and domain name are required for most AD installs)
5. Click the Advanced Settings button, and review the options. Set them to your liking.
6. If you have any AD groups that you would like to have administer the computer, set them up - you should see Enterprise Admins and Domain Admins by default.
7. Click Bind. This will add a computer account to AD for your Mac.
8. You will be prompted to enter an adminitrator's username and password to complete the operation - this is a AD admin it is asking for.

This should do it... you can now log into your Mac using a Windows user account. You will then be able to access network resources (fileshares, printers, etc) without having to enter your username and password again. (that is - until your kerberos ticket expires - but hopefully you log off at night...)

Here is a doc on Apple's site about it... very simply stated...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DirectoryAccess/1.8/en/c7od45.html

HTH...

David

Oct 30, 2006 5:44 PM in response to Anthony Cunningham

Sure have...

I have my Mac at home joined to my home AD network and have our entire design division setup this way at work. It works out really well... My only issue thus far has been getting guest access to a users' Public share from one Mac to another. (we have freelance designers that come in and out all the time). Everything else is working out great.

David

Oct 30, 2006 9:42 PM in response to Anthony Cunningham

Well i didnt mean that it couldnt be done... just that from what ive read its never as simple as the documentation implies. Off course most of the complications tend to have to do with Network homes from what ive seen - which for me is the primary reaso n to bind my macs. I intend to do so but havent gotten to it yet as i dont currently havethe time for what could protentially turn into a day long project nor do i have an extra machine to test with...

Of course part of my weariness also comes from not being terribly familiar with windows network administration. Im familiar with OS X , Debian , RedHat and BSD, but you get me on a windows box and im like a fish out of water in regards to anything but the simplest of tasks.

Nov 1, 2006 4:26 AM in response to DLevine

Thanks for your help DLevine,
I've managed to add a Mac to AD before but I've followed your instuctions and the ones on Apple's site which work fine, but I still get prompted to login to a server to with the same user name and password I've just used to log into the Mac with (via AD).

I dont know what I'm doing wrong

-Steve

Single Sign on Mac to Windows Server via AD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.