Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos: will it recognize iPhotos 8 library

I am currently running OS X 10.9.5 and was looking to finally upgrade to Yosemite. I have mostly migrated to Lightroom but have some older photos in iPhoto 8. However, I can't import them to Lightroom because the import app will not recognize the older iPhoto library.

I doubt I will need to do any heavy editing on these photos, so I would be fine if they went in the new Photos app. However, if I upgrade to Yosemite, will Photos recognize that older library? I am unsure whether iPhotos 8 will continue to run on that OS, and I don't want to lose the first 7 years of pictures of my child.

Do I need to do a manual workaround and export all my iPhoto photos and import them into LR?

iPhoto '08, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 11:43 AM

6 replies

Jul 12, 2015 12:08 PM in response to PStu

BTW, Lightroom keeps telling me it needs to see version 9.5.1 or higher to import the iPhoto library.

That is a problem.

To upgrade to iPhoto'11, version 9.5.1 or later from iPhoto '09 requires a purchase from the App Store, because it is a major upgrade and not a free update. And Apple stopped selling iPhoto. Even if you buy iPhoto '11 from Amazon or eBay, you will not be able to update it to version 9.5.1,, because this update is not available from the downloads page.

You will have to sweet-talk the App Store Support into selling you a redeem code for iPhoto '11, and I do not know if it is possible.

Photos: will it recognize iPhotos 8 library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.