Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store not working since updating to iOS 8.4. Why?

Since updating to iOS 8.4, the App Store doesn't seem to work. Is it linked?

iPad, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 2:58 PM

Log out of the iTunes Store on your device:

Settings>iTunes & App Store...tap your Apple ID, then select "Sign Out"

Force Restart your device:

Force Restart (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

After the device has restarted, sign back in to the App Store as above. Try again

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Flatdogg

Log out of the iTunes Store on your device:

Settings>iTunes & App Store...tap your Apple ID, then select "Sign Out"

Force Restart your device:

Force Restart (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

After the device has restarted, sign back in to the App Store as above. Try again

Sep 2, 2015 10:10 PM in response to SergZak

I am having the same issue on iPhone. Several apps try to update and are stuck with a spinning icon but no progress. Eventually the service gives up and I get an error message saying the apps (Twitter, Google Maps, Chrome) "could not be purchased at this time."

The store sign out-and-restart suggestion did not help, I am still seeing the same errors.

Sep 16, 2015 12:27 PM in response to shambhavi8888

I think I've figured out what the problem is, I suspect iCloud is the culprit. In Settings, sign out of iCloud (do not delete any of your info from your device if it prompts you to), restart your device then try updating from the App Store while iCloud is inactive. You can sign back in to iCloud once your updates are done. For safety's sake I'd restart again after signing back in to iCloud.

Oct 16, 2015 1:36 PM in response to SableGear

Thanks, tried it and it's working again. Well, I wasn't signed into iCloud, but I turned it off in settings.

But, I also did a couple of other things at the same time, not sure if they would have made a difference:

1. I turned Bluetooth off

2. turned of mobile data off as well.

I had upgraded to 9 and when reconfigure had been asked whether to sign into iCloud. If updating, I recommend not to do that. ;-)

App Store not working since updating to iOS 8.4. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.