Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac 27 retina with fusion drive a good choice?

Hello, I'm about to upgrade my current 20" iMac 2009 model and am looking at the retina display and have a few questions -

is the fusion drive a good choice
non reflective screen best?

And finally is a larger screen harder on the eyes? It doesn't seem to be. Please advise. have small ad agency so we do variety of tasks from admin to video to graphics so we need new system.

Thanks for any help you can provide. Also is buying out of box okay? I see a few that were out of the box (with box) and they are a few hundred $ cheaper but still have warranty. Thanks

sandramacuser

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 3:01 PM

There's no right answer here.

Most any Mac will do well with image graphics work, though heavier loads and video processing will push you toward a higher-spec system.

How much storage you will need is another factor. Also if you're going to keep the Mac for a while, then more memory, and more disk (or Fusion, or SSD) storage and faster-spec processors are usually better — that'll usually give you more headroom as OS X and application software requirements increase over time.

As for your question, there are reasons why Apple offers different choices here — there's no one right answer. Some folks want a big (cheap, slow) hard disk, some want a (small) fast (and expensive) SSD, and some want to split the difference with a Fusion drive, for instance.

Anti-glare displays work very well where there's glare, but some folks don't like what that finish does for the sharpness and colors that are presented.

A visit the Apple Store and a look at the options might help you. You'll be able to see the anti-glare coating, and discuss your requirements with the Apple folks.

Apple new systems and Apple refurbished systems have good warranties — but check the warranty — I believe it's the same for the Apple new and refurb equipment. If the Mac is acquired from other sources, you'll have to check with the vendor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2015 3:01 PM in response to sandramacuser

There's no right answer here.

Most any Mac will do well with image graphics work, though heavier loads and video processing will push you toward a higher-spec system.

How much storage you will need is another factor. Also if you're going to keep the Mac for a while, then more memory, and more disk (or Fusion, or SSD) storage and faster-spec processors are usually better — that'll usually give you more headroom as OS X and application software requirements increase over time.

As for your question, there are reasons why Apple offers different choices here — there's no one right answer. Some folks want a big (cheap, slow) hard disk, some want a (small) fast (and expensive) SSD, and some want to split the difference with a Fusion drive, for instance.

Anti-glare displays work very well where there's glare, but some folks don't like what that finish does for the sharpness and colors that are presented.

A visit the Apple Store and a look at the options might help you. You'll be able to see the anti-glare coating, and discuss your requirements with the Apple folks.

Apple new systems and Apple refurbished systems have good warranties — but check the warranty — I believe it's the same for the Apple new and refurb equipment. If the Mac is acquired from other sources, you'll have to check with the vendor.

imac 27 retina with fusion drive a good choice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.