Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Photo Files from Backup Disk

Hi. My iMac DH died recently (RIP). Fortunately I had a full Time Machine backup on an external drive.

I want to take the photo database from my old mac and add it to my new one. However I'm finding the process for making this happen pretty convoluted and was hoping someone here could guide me a bit.

Is it just a matter of replacing a database folder with a new one? I was able to get my email restored perfectly in this manner.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 1:53 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2015 1:58 PM in response to futureperfect

I want to take the photo database from my old mac and add it to my new one.

You can only restore the complete iPhoto Library from Time Machine. It is not possible to merge the photos from Time Machine into a new Library.

Restore the old library from Time Machine, and then use iphoto Library Manager to merge the old and the new library, or export the photos from one library to import them into the other library.

See this link: iPhoto '11: Restoring from Time Machine with iPhoto '11 (9.2 or later) and OS X Lion 10.7.2 (or later)

Jul 12, 2015 2:27 PM in response to futureperfect

How much work have you already invested into your new iPhoto Library?

To access your old photos in the Time Machine backup you have to restore the old library to a folder somewhere on your disk. The procedure is described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202321

To restore photos:

1. Quit iPhoto.
  2. Connect your Time Machine drive.
  3. In the Finder, open the folder containing your iPhoto Library. Unless you've moved your iPhoto Library, it can be found in Home/Pictures/iPhoto Library.
  4. Enter Time Machine. (Time Machine can be found in the Dock or in the /Applications folder.)
  5. Choose your desired backup. The timeline on the right side of the screen displays a purple tick mark for each of the backups stored on your Time Machine drive.
  6. Select the iPhoto library you would like to restore, and click the Restore button.

iPhoto may prompt you to repair your library if there are some inconsistencies in your files. If so, please allow it to proceed by clicking the Repair button. If you notice blank thumbnails, reopen iPhoto while holding down the Command and Option keys. When the Rebuild iPhoto Library window appears, enable the "Rebuild all of the photos’ thumbnails" checkbox. This may take a long time, depending on the size of the library

Then you have to make up your mind, if you want to keep the old library or your new one.

Export the photos from the library you do not want to keep and import them into the other library.

Or buy iPhoto Library Manager, it can merge libraries: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

Restoring Photo Files from Backup Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.