Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sudo: discoveryutil: command not found

Hello,

I'm trying to flush my DNS on Yosemite 10.10.4 by using "sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache" on the terminal and the result is "sudo: discoveryutil: command not found". I used to flush my dns on an older MBP all the time, but it seems not to be working whenever I try it here.

Any suggestions what could be done?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 3:56 PM

discoveryutil was eliminated from OS X 10.10.4. Flushing the DNS cache is something you should never have to do, but if you want to do it anyway, use the old mDNSResponder method, or just restart the computer.

4 replies

Jul 28, 2015 9:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Flushing the DNS cache is something you should never have to do

I guess it's something that the general web browsing public never needs to do but, as a web developer and system administrator, I can tell you that I need to flush my DNS cache all the time, often many times per day, especially when making and testing DNS changes in preparation for launching new sites and new versions of web applications. And I often find myself having to instruct clients how to edit their hosts files and flush the DNS caches on their workstations. Although they're not web developers or system administrators themselves, they do, as part of their jobs, also need to review and test new sites and updates to web apps before they go live. Between colleagues and clients, in fact, i think I interact with more people on a daily basis who DO need to flush their DNS caches, than members of the "general web browsing public" who do not.

So, while we who work as web professionals, and the stakeholders of the web sites and web apps that we build for them may not be representative consumers -- nearly all of us seem to be Mac users these days!

[...] but if you want to do it anyway, use the old mDNSResponder method, or just restart the computer.

Thanks! That what I asked google for :-) I could care less what the mechanism is, though i'd appreciate it if the currently working mechanism wouldn't stop working and force me to google what does work now (and then have to re-educate my colleagues and clients on the method de jour) after every OS X release :-)

Thanks!

-dave

Jul 28, 2015 10:00 AM in response to david.at.gigawatt.com

Wait -- it's already changed again, since I wrote that!

Google second hit found it:

Reset the DNS cache in OS X - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202516

The latest, greatest technique is now (drumroll, please..):

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

Life is too short to have to visit the *second* google hit to get something done, eh?

-dave

sudo: discoveryutil: command not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.