Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set time zone using current location - stopped working

Macbook Pro, mid 2012, Mavericks 10.9.5. This used to work fine for me, especially if I launched Maps, or opened System Requirements, Date and Time. If I was in a new location and time zone, the Mac did the rest.

Now, if I have Location Services turned on, Maps knows where I am within about 20 feet. However if I go into System Preferences, and choose Date & Time, and click the Time Zone tab, the Mac quickly determines my "current location" (a suburb of Chicago), which is currently on US Central Daylight Time. Then, after a few seconds of further thought, the Mac declares that the nearest city is Indianapolis, IN, and I am stuck on Eastern Daylight Time.

I have tried both Apple Americas and NIST as a time server, and I have tried turning Location Services on and off. No joy, my Mac still properly puts me into the correct small suburb, but seems unable to determine that I am in Illinois, even though it knows I am around 20 miles west of Chicago. And it seems to be unaware of Chicago!

I have tried zapping PRAM, incidentally, and also have tried creating a temporary new user with administrative rights. Same problem for the new user.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 12, 2015 6:29 PM

7 replies

Jul 13, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Eric Root

OK, I have tried both of the above.

Tried unchecking set time automatically, and unchecked set time zone using current location. Then quit System Preferences.

Then relaunched System Preferences, and Date/Time. Left set time automatically unchecked, but turned on set time zone using current location.

It correctly announces my current location, drops a red pin, and the red pin is outside of the time zone that it believes I am in. Even though I am within 20 miles of Chicago, and west of Chicago at that, and it knows the name of my town, and there is not a town with that name in Indiana, it says the nearest city is Indianapolis, IN, and I am in Eastern Time.

Also tried Date/Time Incorrect in Applications.

All my setting were the system defaults, so Restore Defaults was grayed out on every Tab. I tried making a minor change, and then Restore Defaults was no longer grayed out, so I clicked it..

Went back into Date and Time, left set time automatically unchecked. Tried to have it figure out my Time Zone. Still knows I am in a western suburb of Chicago, but still thinks that is very close to Indianapolis.

So, I am still batting 0.000.

I certainly appreciate your quick response. It would appear to me that Location Services are for some reason unable to talk to Date/Time PrefPane for me, or actually they send the correct information, I briefly see correct current location, but Time Zone refuses to acknowledge and budge on its insisting on me being somewhere in southern rural Indiana. It's as if some sort of file is locked, and Location Services is not allowed to mess with it.

I have trying to do some searching on how and where your Mac decides where it is located, without much luck. I suspect something is corrupt or locked.

Jul 13, 2015 8:05 PM in response to gh1852

I decided to check to see what I could see in Console, system.log immediately after asking my Mac to figure out its Time Zone:

It appears that a function called TimeZoneAdminTool tried approximately 3 times, and then gave up:

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh com.apple.systemadministration.writeconfig[104]: ### Restricted client at path /System/Library/PreferencePanes/DateAndTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TimeZon e.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TimeZoneAdminTool

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh com.apple.systemadministration.writeconfig[104]: Warning: Exception caught during decoding of received message, dropping incoming message.

Exception: <NSXPCDecoder: 0x7f8fde008600> received a message that is not in the interface of the local object (setMachineDictionary:forKey:inDomain:authorization:result:), dropping.

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh TimeZoneAdminTool[431]: ### syncProxyWithSemaphore error:Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application."

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh com.apple.systemadministration.writeconfig[104]: ### Restricted client at path /System/Library/PreferencePanes/DateAndTime.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TimeZon e.prefPane/Contents/Resources/TimeZoneAdminTool

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh com.apple.systemadministration.writeconfig[104]: Warning: Exception caught during decoding of received message, dropping incoming message.

Exception: <NSXPCDecoder: 0x7f8fdf800e00> received a message that is not in the interface of the local object (setMachineArray:forKey:inDomain:authorization:result:), dropping.

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh TimeZoneAdminTool[431]: ### syncProxyWithSemaphore error:Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application."

Exception: <NSXPCDecoder: 0x7f8fde008600> received a message that is not in the interface of the local object (setTimeZone:_withAuthorization:), dropping.

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh com.apple.preference.datetime.remoteservice[423]: !!! ASSERT FAILURE: Selected city on the map is different than what we expect to be selected !!!

I tried to search for some of this with Google, but didn't come up with much

Jul 14, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric:

Should have replied with this to you, managed to reply to myself. Sorry

I decided to look in Console, system.log, and found the following:

First, it reported this sequence twice:

Exception: <NSXPCDecoder: 0x7f8fde008600> received a message that is not in the interface of the local object (setMachineDictionary:forKey:inDomain:authorization:result, dropping.

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh TimeZoneAdminTool[431]: ### syncProxyWithSemaphore error:Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application.

On the third attempt, it dropped the entry ending in "Couldn't communicate with a helper application", but added the following:

Jul 13 22:50:14 macintosh com.apple.preference.datetime.remoteservice[423]: !!! ASSERT FAILURE: Selected city on the map is different than what we expect to be selected !!!

I've done a lot of searching for anything about TimeZoneAdminTool, and NSXPCDecoder. Haven't really seen much.

Jul 14, 2015 9:39 AM in response to gh1852

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks also Yosemite

Jul 14, 2015 5:59 PM in response to Eric Root

OK, tried rebooting. Same problem.

Tried creating a brand new administrator, logged in as them, same problem.

Tried Safe Boot, and used an App called Etrecheck to verify that in Safe Boot, NO non-Apple daemons, kexts, or any other processes were running. This was confirmed (no surprise).

Tried the Time Zone check. Same problem, same messages in Console.

Then tried my wife's MacBook Air (2013, 13-inch), running 10.9.5, and same history of Apple updates. Tried to have it set its time zone, and it failed, and system.log was a carbon copy of mine.

She was recently in Atlanta, and complained of its inability to switch. Her hardware and 3rd-party software environment is completely different than mine.

Incidentally, while Googling XPCDecoder, found that Security Update 2015-005 contained a fix for a security issue in XPCDecoder.

Jul 21, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Eric Root

I have fixed my issue, I did the following:

1. Backed up my hard drive using two methods
  2. Zeroed out my hard drive using Disk Utility and reinstalled Mavericks 10.9.1. The problem was fixed.
  3. Installed all Mavericks software updates in the App Store except for Security Update 2015-005. The Mac was still able to correctly set the time zone. Backed up the computer.
  4. Installed Security Update 2015-005 (Mavericks). The problem returned. Unfortunately, it's a cumulative update, so I had to isolate the problem.
  5. Restored the computer from the backup, and then added each Mavericks Security update since Mac OS X 10.9.5 was released. All updates through Security Update 2015-004 caused no problem with my Mac’s ability to set its time zone based upon the current location.
  6. Backed up the computer and then installed Security Update 2015-005 for Mavericks. The problem returned.
  7. I restored my computer to its state before installing 2015-005, and then restored my home folder and applications from my backup. The problem has not returned.

Set time zone using current location - stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.