Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

booting from extreal USB hard drive

I have a iBook os x 10.4.1 and need to boot it from USB don't have the CD bootbdisks any more.something me please help

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), i book g4 powerbook 6,7

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 7:16 AM

2 replies

Jul 16, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Bret9696

I wish that the myth of not being able to boot PPC Macs from USB would die...you can boot from USB just fine from most PPC Macs with built-in USB. The exceptions I know of are the B&W G3 and some of the early iMac G3s.

In any case, sometimes you can boot by just holding down Option at power on with the USB device plugged in. Sometimes, the bootable USB device will show up in boot manager-if it does, just click on it and proceed with booting.

The above won't work on many PPC Macs that have USB 2.0-they will need to be booted from Open Firmware.

Hold down command+option+O+F while powering on. The computer should boot to a command prompt like interface. More often than not, if a bootable USB device is present, you can type boot ud:,\\:tbxi . 9 times out of 10, this will boot the computer off USB. If it doesn't, there are more steps that will get it to work-search "booting USB from open firmware"

booting from extreal USB hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.