Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will xserver RAID work?

I am building a small business network to store all my clients photos and videos. I am a Photographer/Videographer. I was about to invest in a NAS, however I am an Apple Fan, and I came across the Xserver RAID 1009. Can this be used as a NAS? My main intention is to house my Aperture Database on the network so that I can access it from any of my Mac's, Also for the (NAS/xserver RAID) to clone my database so that I have a backup.

If none of the above, What are my options with what I intend on doing?

Thanks

Xserve

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 8:48 AM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2015 12:51 PM in response to TriniMastermind

"Can this be used as a NAS?"

No.

The XServe RAID is an example of a Directly Attached Storage (DAS) device and never designed for NAS use. For it to work effectively you will need a host device (the XServe you list in your footer would be ideal) to attach it to. The XServe will need a Host Bus Adapter (HBA) installed and it needs to be Fibre Channel with at least one fibre channel cable that connects the XServe to the XServe RAID.

As it's an obsolete unit you may struggle getting enough ATA/IDE drives for it? Maximum capacity is 750GBs. No Terrabyte drives unless you're prepared to get inventive with IDE-SATA adapters. You should also be aware that as a RAID 5 device you will have only one point of failure, although with the RAID Admin software As it is a RAID you must be aware that it is, by itself, not a back-up. A prudent person wishing to store their important data on it would have a back-up device attached to the host that is large enough to accommodate the amount of data stored.

What are your options? FWIW I would go ahead with your original plan and get a NAS device instead. Plan for the worst possible scenario and make sure you have at least one backup somewhere that you test regularly.

My 2p.

Jul 13, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

Maybe I should explain my scenario and maybe this would help. I have 3 Mac's that I can access my Aperture Library from presently on my network. However it is very slow over the Wifi, so I am in the process of installing a small network cabinet, with a 48 Port Gigabit switch, that I can wire these computers to, for quicker access. Unfortunately my file server presently is a Windows 8 machine, but I don't have any backup other than "File History" that comes standard with windows.

I would like to set it up in a way that, I can have the database accessible over the network, plus have a backup on the network. I not only have my Aperture database, but I have personal pictures, and Many Many movies and music that I use through iTunes and Apple TV for my home media center. All of which I would like to have backed up.

Since I am doing a small 8U network cabinet, I would like to get something neat, (possible rackable) to go in there. I am a stickler for uniformity and neatness. This is why I liked the Xserver RAID, because it could mount on a rack.

Any suggestions?

Jul 13, 2015 2:02 PM in response to TriniMastermind

Judging by what you're saying I'm guessing you don't have an XServe after all?

". . . it is very slow over Wifi . . ."

Moving to wired gigabit would be the way forward to begin with and if you can afford it and the computers you're using can accommodate it, 10 gigabit is something you could consider if speed of access is all important to you?

"Any suggestions?"

If it was me I would stick with your Windows 8 'server' as it's probably more than adequate? I don't know what File History is although it does sound useful? Again if it was me I would install dedicated backup software on it that's capable of backing up to a NAS. Then purchase a large enough capacity NAS that supports the network you're designing and back-up to it.

My 2p

Will xserver RAID work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.