Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MPB is too hot!

Hi there.

I think that my MBP 13" is getting too hot too quick!

It's got no optical unti anymore and in place of that I moved the HDD there and installed an SDD in place of the former HDD. Now, I noticed the MPB getting really hot like since almost half a year - and NOW it's really annoying!!!

I mean, I can't have my hands on the MPB too long, it really is uncomfortable!

Anybody has any clues, what to check and what to do? Some software to display temperature?

Thanks for your help

F.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 8:35 AM

36 replies

Jul 13, 2015 9:21 AM in response to FlavioB

"Hot" depends on whether the computer get hot just idling, ior only if certain programs activities are used. Which does yours do?

It could be possible that added the second HD somehow disabled the cooling fan. A 13-inch MBP has but one fan so if it quits, you have zero cooling.

Temp software is not going to help if the fan is dead. First you nee to boot run Apple diagnostics. Instructions here:

OS X Yosemite: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test

A failed or jammed fan will give a error code starting with "4/MOT." If you get that code, the next step is to open the back and see if the fan in jammed. My son's MBP13 suffered this. When he opened it, he found that a tiny piece of the plastic battery support had broken off when his little son accidentally knocked the computer to the floor. Removing the offending bit of plastic restored normal function. Illustrated instructions for accessing the fans are here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Fan+Replacemen t/10367

Please report back what you find.

AJ

Jul 13, 2015 1:43 PM in response to FlavioB

OK, I did following tests:

removed upper RAM module (the one that's covering the first module) and ran the test - NO ERRORS!

removed lower RAM module and put the upper module into the lower slot, then tested again - NO ERRORS!

put the other RAM module back (thus having finally swapped the two modules) and ran the test - SAME ERROR!

To me this sounds weird, it's not the single module, it's the combination of them, or what?

Could the RAM slot be the culprit?

Thanks,

F.

Jul 13, 2015 1:44 PM in response to FlavioB

You can identify the Ram with the problem by removing one of the two sticks of ram. then booting up your macbook. if the problem remains, reseat the ram stick and remover the other ram stick then boot up again.

if you remove the problematic ram stick everything should be normal again if that is the cause of your problems.

Jul 14, 2015 7:29 AM in response to FlavioB

Hi Flavio,

Now that we have found no problem with the RAM slots and modules as far as we know, we can look into other things. Please answer Alans questions:

-does the Macbook heat up during idle or when using a certain program (what program)?

-Does the fan spin up and does it ramp up when the Macbook feels hot

additionally: does the macbook heat up after a while or does it run hot immediately after start up?

You could install a program like SMCfancontrol and mannualy ramp up the fan if you think that the Macbook gets excessively hot

or HWMonitor to see what your fan does and with HWmonitor you can identify if a certain part of the MBP is the cause of the excessive heat.

-SMCfancontrol http://www.eidac.de/

-HWMonitor http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/HWMonitor.shtml

about the possible warped thing, i don't have any experience with that. I wouldn't assume that it is a problem because it would affect your ram slots and they work fine.

Jul 18, 2015 7:34 AM in response to GhonaZ

Hi GhonaZ.

Can we for sure exclude RAM or RAM slot issues? I mean: from the tests I did, both modules work fine, but when both are inserted at the same time, the Apple Hardware Test shows the mentioned error...

To answer the other questions: the MBP heats up even if IDLE. I actually have hot temperatures (I feel them!) on both sides of the mousepad, where my hand palms are. Nevertheless, I only have iTunes running and Safari with a couple of tabs open.

Here the actual temperatures:

User uploaded file

I mean: it doesn't seem to be really hot, but my hands have "hard time" to stand that heat! Also, the side part of the unibody, on the left between the USB and various ports and the keyboard edge is MUCH HOTTER!

As you can see, I don't think the fan is really cooling down...

I will now install HWMonitor and see...

What are your thoughts with above findings?

Thanks,

Flavio.

Jul 18, 2015 10:24 AM in response to FlavioB

I do not see any item in Activity Monitor that indicate the cause of the 71°c temperature.

Open the MBP and inspect the interior to see if there is any dust or debris inside, especially by the fan. If so, clean it out.

Run an Apple hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note that an error free AHT is not definitive.

I note that you have 10,.10.4. iStat Pro was never updated to be compatible with 10.8 or later. That may or may not have an affect on the integrity of the data being displayed.

Ciao.

Jul 18, 2015 10:39 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi.

I managed to install HWMonitor in its latest version (6.18.1394) and following is what it is displaying:

User uploaded file

It looks like my CPU is really overheating, along with the PECI. Activity Monitor still "looks fine":

User uploaded file

I already cleaned out the fan, respectively I blew it out and cleaned the case openings where the fan blows out.

AHT detects the mentioned memory error as in my former replies...

What else could interfere here?

F.

My MPB is too hot!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.