Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iMovie 10.0.9 and need help moving projects – my computer is out of space!

I've looked online for how do move projects onto an external hard drive but instructions I've found talk about iMovie 11 and how any hard drives will show up in the iMovie Events library. I don't see that. And, I thought iMovie 10 was the most recent version?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 8:35 AM

Greetings elizabethfmcnamara,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to move projects from your internal drive to an external drive. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

iMovie 11 was released in the Mac App Store in 2011. iMovie 10 was released in 2013.

iMovie (2013): Work with multiple libraries

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or hard disks

1. Connect a hard disk that contains the target library to your computer, or copy the target library to your computer.

2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.

You can choose from recently opened libraries at the top of the submenu, locate an existing library on your computer, or create a new library.

3. The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.

4. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.

5. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.

Note: To select multiple items, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.

6. Do one of the following:

• To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.

• To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Take care

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2015 8:35 AM in response to elizabethfmcnamara

Greetings elizabethfmcnamara,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to move projects from your internal drive to an external drive. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

iMovie 11 was released in the Mac App Store in 2011. iMovie 10 was released in 2013.

iMovie (2013): Work with multiple libraries

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or hard disks

1. Connect a hard disk that contains the target library to your computer, or copy the target library to your computer.

2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.

You can choose from recently opened libraries at the top of the submenu, locate an existing library on your computer, or create a new library.

3. The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.

4. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.

5. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.

Note: To select multiple items, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.

6. Do one of the following:

• To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.

• To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
Take care

Jan 17, 2016 1:11 PM in response to elizabethfmcnamara

Hi, I have found the following solution to this issue:

1) Click file, then open library, new. Name the library, and create it in the location of your choice.

2) Go to the projects tab in the main imovie window. Ctrl and click a project you would like to move. Select move to library or copy to library from the drop down menu. The new library you created should be listed, click that and your project should move/copy to the new location.

I hope this works for you, as I couldn't get the other methods to work.

p.s. I did this on El Capitan, so this may account for any problems you have.

I have iMovie 10.0.9 and need help moving projects – my computer is out of space!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.