Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting users and passwords from MacBook Pro

My department has just inherited a MacBook Pro that is probably 4 years old. Unfortunately it is set up with user login information and we do not have access to the passwords so we are essentially locked out. Is there a way to delete the users? I do not have access to the original start up discs and i do not know what OS version it is running at. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 12:19 PM

1 reply

Jul 13, 2015 12:35 PM in response to mikefanch

If that model came with installer discs, then you need them to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X. You can purchase replacements from Apple. If your age estimate is correct and you have a 2011 or later model, then it's possible to use Network Install: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery. Unfortunately, if you need to install the firmware, that requires account password. If the model is able to do Network Recovery:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.

For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

Deleting users and passwords from MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.