Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery drain ios 8.4

Updated to the new ios 8.4 now my battery only last 6 hrs. Before update it lasted almost 2 days?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 12:57 PM

Go to Settings>General>Usage>Battery Usage and you will see what the offending app or apps are. That should help you troubleshoot what the issue might be. I have an iPhone 5s, and actually with iOS 8.4, I've seen an improvement in my battery usage statistics. Used to be that I never saw more than 3% per hour drainage with moderate to heavy usage, now it is below 3% per hour. Once you find the offending app or apps, you can try correcting it, depending on what it is. Contrary to what many people will recommend, I leave Wi-Fi on all of the time, Bluetooth is on, as well as a number of location services.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2015 12:57 PM in response to thomasfromsaint marys

Go to Settings>General>Usage>Battery Usage and you will see what the offending app or apps are. That should help you troubleshoot what the issue might be. I have an iPhone 5s, and actually with iOS 8.4, I've seen an improvement in my battery usage statistics. Used to be that I never saw more than 3% per hour drainage with moderate to heavy usage, now it is below 3% per hour. Once you find the offending app or apps, you can try correcting it, depending on what it is. Contrary to what many people will recommend, I leave Wi-Fi on all of the time, Bluetooth is on, as well as a number of location services.

Jul 16, 2015 8:39 AM in response to owlrider

Apple does not provide a path for downgrading. If you are getting that kind of drain while in Airplane Mode, you have a process stuck. You need to restore the device as new and test before adding any content back. Something corrupted with the installation of your update. It is not the update itself, however restoring the device as new will download and install a new update.

Jul 20, 2015 12:21 AM in response to thomasfromsaint marys

I Had exactly the same problem, as well on my iPhone as on my iPad. After some fine tuning of the settings, still the same problem.

Solved the problem by taking the next steps :

1. Made a full backup, via iTunes.

2. Re-installed, via iTunes, the IOS 8.4 software (full and with factory settings !)

3. Did a check of the basic operation/working. OK

4. Reloaded my apps and settings.

Both, Iphone & Ipad are working properly now !!

The problem of the bad working IOS8.4 upgrade (and the upgrades before) has to do probably with some incompatible soft/hardware and only for some devices.

A clean install with the latest IOS version solves the problem.

Agree, this is a time consumable solution but it is worthwhile to do.

Good luck !

Regards, Marc

Jul 26, 2015 4:03 AM in response to thomasfromsaint marys

I have had the same issue on my iPhone4s I think the culprit is the new Apple Music service - Try logging out of the service in the account setting and see what happens. Did the trick for me and that was after trying virtually all the restore options and a trip to the apple store - that latter at least confirmed to me that my battery was working fine so I knew to keep persevering in the search for an app that was constantly updating info. In theory the Music thing would eventually finish its updates, but I use Spotify. This pain in the backside has further confirmed my commitment to that platform.

Aug 4, 2015 8:36 PM in response to thomasfromsaint marys

There is no way any of these people have better battery life with ios 8.4! low signal issues are the worst now! I have to keep it out of my pocket and hold it in the air to get a good signal now. Not what you want to do with an iPhone the darn thing should just work, but they blew it again with an update. They better come up with a fix soon or android here I come. A nicer phone and changeable battery how can you beat that. Some people might like the arrogance of apple but I had my fill. I want a phone that works! I had to shut instant messaging off because nobody understands how to use it and I do not want to get every ones reply's to every group text. why isn't there a reply and reply all option like we are use to in emails? I could go on and on but I will let it go and see if they fix it soon.

Aug 5, 2015 9:15 AM in response to marcfromkoksijde

Customer support sent me down the same route for my iPhone6. the battery still drained quickly after the restore to factory settings, but after 30 hours, it stopped draining on its own and is back to normal like before the iOS upgrade. I had to reinstall my corporate email after the reset. All a painful process but can at least resume happy iPhone use

Sep 5, 2015 9:46 AM in response to iDona

No there is no Help! I have been told there is nothing wrong, all is well. I do not use Music & it is turned off as well as can be. The music uses almost the same amount of battery as the GPS & sometimes more? How can this be all is well.

Zero & I mean absolutely ZERO help! I have reset to factory settings 5 X reset to factory settings 5 X replaced the battery 2X. I used every trick in the book to save battery life but it always comes up with Music! Why?? Also after updating the software the phone will not power off & stay off. It turn s off then in a minute or so boots itself back on with music draining the battery even more. iPhone 4s 64 gig. All battery issues started with 8.4 then continued with 8.4.1.\

What a joke Apple

Ok no fire truck hen where is my help? I get software that does not work & makes my phone useless! Were is the help?? If this is a help site then get me some help!! I sometime wonder why people get so mad? Well not anymore! IOS 8.4.1 is nothing short of the most ridiculous piece of so called software ever!!

<Edited By Host>

battery drain ios 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.