Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th generation overheating. I took it to Apple store today- they suggested reset to factory settings. I have done that but no difference- keeps intermittently overheating and losing wifi

I have a 5th generation Time capsule 3Tb. It is out of warranty and has started overheating intermittently. I took it to an apple store today. They suggested resetting it to factory settings. I have done that, but this has not helped. I know that overheating was reported with earlier time capsules but hoped I would be ok with the 5th gen version. Any ideas how I can fix it?

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 2:36 PM

In the Gen5 TC there is a fan at the top of the unit .. and if that fan gets old or sticky or gummed up (fans tend to do that in dusty environments).. then it will cease to be effective.

The time it will overheat is when you are actually copying files to or from the TC.

I recommend you deal with apple via applecare.. they are being unreasonable to not own up to faults.. they know full well a reset will do nothing at all.

Do you have any computer with applecare? That will cover the TC as well.

If the TC is less than 2years old.. I think most will be.. you can still buy applecare if you have a computer less than 1 year old.. or an Apple TV.

You can still buy an Apple TV.. so here is how you handle this.

If apple refuse to accept support since it is out of warranty.. and it is less than 2years old.. buy a Apple TV.. do not open it.. buy applecare for said Apple TV.. in the terms and conditions it says that the Apple airports are covered. Double check with them of course before you do this.

Be polite but assertive. Read and know the T&C.

This is my local version.

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MF219/apple-tv-applecare-protection-plan

It says.

Additional Apple hardware service options

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides local Apple hardware service options around the world, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world. Apple hardware coverage includes:

• Your Apple TV
  • AirPort (3)
  • Included Apple Remote and power cord

And the airport bit says.

(3) AirPort must be purchased up to two years before your Apple TV purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to get up to two years of expert telephone technical support and additional hardware service options from Apple. For more information, click here.

So now you can ask them to replace your faulty.. and it is faulty.. TC.

Keep the records from your iPad which will show the overheating btw..

Then ask for a refund on the unused and unopened Apple TV since you don't need it.

Therein is your problem solved.

If your TC happens to be 2years old.. which means you bought it right on release then tell us.. because you can probably fix it with a bit of DIY.

See https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Kurt Wilson

In the Gen5 TC there is a fan at the top of the unit .. and if that fan gets old or sticky or gummed up (fans tend to do that in dusty environments).. then it will cease to be effective.

The time it will overheat is when you are actually copying files to or from the TC.

I recommend you deal with apple via applecare.. they are being unreasonable to not own up to faults.. they know full well a reset will do nothing at all.

Do you have any computer with applecare? That will cover the TC as well.

If the TC is less than 2years old.. I think most will be.. you can still buy applecare if you have a computer less than 1 year old.. or an Apple TV.

You can still buy an Apple TV.. so here is how you handle this.

If apple refuse to accept support since it is out of warranty.. and it is less than 2years old.. buy a Apple TV.. do not open it.. buy applecare for said Apple TV.. in the terms and conditions it says that the Apple airports are covered. Double check with them of course before you do this.

Be polite but assertive. Read and know the T&C.

This is my local version.

http://store.apple.com/au/product/MF219/apple-tv-applecare-protection-plan

It says.

Additional Apple hardware service options

The AppleCare Protection Plan provides local Apple hardware service options around the world, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians around the world. Apple hardware coverage includes:

• Your Apple TV
  • AirPort (3)
  • Included Apple Remote and power cord

And the airport bit says.

(3) AirPort must be purchased up to two years before your Apple TV purchase or during the term of your AppleCare Protection Plan coverage.

Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to get up to two years of expert telephone technical support and additional hardware service options from Apple. For more information, click here.

So now you can ask them to replace your faulty.. and it is faulty.. TC.

Keep the records from your iPad which will show the overheating btw..

Then ask for a refund on the unused and unopened Apple TV since you don't need it.

Therein is your problem solved.

If your TC happens to be 2years old.. which means you bought it right on release then tell us.. because you can probably fix it with a bit of DIY.

See https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Apple_Time_Capsule

Jul 13, 2015 2:46 PM in response to LaPastenague

Just as a bit of resource for what is actually going on.. if you have ipad.. load up the iOS version of the airport utility.

User uploaded file

If you open the thermalinfo you will see a detailed list of fan and temperatures around the TC.

User uploaded file

As you can see thermal info is recorded at fairly constant intervals. So there will be several snapshots and one of these should show the info.. the actual overheat can be indicated as an error on the airport utility as well.

Jul 13, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Kurt Wilson

Kurt Wilson wrote:

Thanks, that is really great advice! One thing- my TC came via Amazon. It is less than two years old. If I buy an Apple TV (then take back opened), will the apple care still cover the TC?

It makes no difference where you bought the TC.. just that you can prove its age.. ie you have invoice for it.

And take it to the apple store and go through the process of buying the apple tv right there.. buy the Applecare for it ... then get them to replace your TC.. and wonder deeply in your mind why they don't tell you these things.

Aug 29, 2015 12:03 PM in response to LaPastenague

/people/LaPastenague

Thanks for this post. Any idea what a "normal" range should be for an Airport Time Capsule. My fan is spinning constantly from boot, and I get an overheat message in the Airport Utility. The unit isn't warm though, so I'm thinking its a thermal circuit failure of some sort (not that I know where the thermal circuit is between the fan, the PSU and the logic board)

Knowing an acceptable 'don't need the fan running' temp range would help me figure if the fan is actually needed or if it's a logic issue.

Aug 29, 2015 2:55 PM in response to johnhelliwell

The fan is designed to thermally respond.. it has to run all the time.

Look at the thermalinfo screenshot I got from ipad. It shows a min speed of 1756RPM and an actual running speed of near min..1765..

The startup and stop of a fan is too hard to do.. the fan works on a duty cycle so it runs all the time slowly.. and speeds up as the temp goes up.. it is not usually off at all. This is a standard way to control things like fans.

Those numbers were from a brand new 3TB TC .. I have since sold off. The standard idle speed of the fan was so quiet it could not be heard.. but the fan is clearly running.. If you study the thermal flow of the TC.. the fan must run.. Otherwise the waste heat.. remember almost every watt consumed becomes heat.. will build up in the sealed top portion of the TC. There is no natural ventilation.. The older design was naturally vented.. not very well mind.. but it did work.. with no vent the fan MUST run.. turn the fan off and the TC will rapidly become overheated.

Aug 30, 2015 1:06 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks. Thats good to know. Problem is my fan is running at max speed all the time and it makes the unit too noisy to use in the house. It's like a jet taking off. I need to find an iPhone to d/l the airport utility (I'm an Android user) but any idea where the thermal circuits are? I can get a replacement fan and I know PSUs are available, but no point in me buying replacements of those if it turns out it's the logic board which I can't source.

Aug 30, 2015 4:37 AM in response to johnhelliwell

I don't know where the sensor is located.. I suspect there are several.. since temperature is now measured on almost every chip made now.

The most detailed views of the TC (and link to AE) are ifixit.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/AirPort_Time_Capsule_A1470

That will link you to the more detailed AE since the TC simply adds a hard disk.

I am guessing but the main sensor should be buried in the board under the heatsink.. but they could also use the processor temp reading..

I have not had a new one to pull apart.. and I keep telling people unless it exceeds 2 years.. so all apple warranty opportunity to buy applecare is gone .. and up to 3 years if you have applecare.. this should be returned to apple.. they have multiple faults. Once you pull it apart it is on your own head..

Of course fan control can be done without the internal control.. but sometimes that is going to be worse.

Aug 30, 2015 1:53 PM in response to johnhelliwell

well replace the fan.. regardless.. but if the fan is faulty you can generally feel them stiff to run.. if it is running too fast.. and the RPM will show via the ipad airport utility.. I would run the fan without controls.. ie cut the line for PCM and RPM count (assuming 4 wire fan). And simply put a resistor in the line to control the fan speed.

Exactly as we used to do for gen4.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/apple-time-capsule-fan-mod

I tried to go all fancy but in the end a resistor is probably just as useful.

Not many people AFAIK have started repairing them so you will be a first.. post the details of your exploration.

Aug 30, 2015 2:45 PM in response to LaPastenague

More info...

- I do actually have two fans. Swapping the, around makes no difference so my assumption is the fans are ok.

- A quick play with the iPad diagnostics shows

Bad fan : 1

Bad fan latched : 1

I note your pic above sys bad fan zero. Given that I reckon the fan is Ok I'm going for figuring some sort of logic board failure.

In the morning I'll test it again without a fan to see what happens then. I'll also pay more attention to the temperatures.

Looking at https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/qnDPsOrUojIFDrid.huge I can see the white arrow in pin 4. Any idea what the PCM and RPM lines might be?

Aug 30, 2015 2:54 PM in response to johnhelliwell

Of the 4 wires would you suggest cutting ?

You need to get the pinout.. but assuming the fans are pretty normal..

Outer two lines are gnd and power.. the middle two lines are tacho and PWM control.

Try and locate the fan controller chip. I have done this for the earlier model.. and you might even be able to tap into the I2C control line.

The earlier ones used. http://www.ti.com/product/amc6821

Knowing the chip number.. and reading the info.. then soldering in a console port allowed me to access the fan controls direct.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair/new-issue-with-a1355-gen-3-tc

See down the bottom of the page.

Serial console access will still be there.. but you will be the first if you manage to tap into it.

Someone else did the new Express.

http://embeddedideation.com/2014/03/dissecting-the-airport-express/

Once you have serial access all kinds of things open up to you.

5th generation overheating. I took it to Apple store today- they suggested reset to factory settings. I have done that but no difference- keeps intermittently overheating and losing wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.