Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have created a slideshow with Apple Photo, ready to export it.

I have created a slideshow with Apple Photo, ready to export it. Do I save it in Quicktime if I want to save it a USB flash drive? I want to save a back up on the USB and I want to give this to my sister but she has no Apple products. Will she be able to play the flash drive on her Gateway laptop? (Then mirror it using Chromecast?)

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 2:50 PM

15 replies

Jul 15, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, I am sorry to bother you again. Here is what I think I am supposed to do. With the Apple Photo Version 1 I choose Export and it takes me to the " save as " window. I think then I save my Slideshow by it's name in movies, and choose the definition ( the highest if I plan to airplay?) and that will save it as a Quicktime movie. From there I can drag and drop to a USB Flashdrive and it should play on any computer not just a Mac.

I would like to experiment saving to a DVD also. I have an external DVD writer (I'm supposed to be able to connect it and drag and drop the file I want to burn). If I want to learn how to do that too, how would I export the slideshow.

There are days I think I should just knit and not try to stay up with all of this. 🙂 I google and try to find out as much as I can before I come to the Apple Community. The new photo for Mac has been really frustrating in terms of finding online information. I am going to forge ahead with slideshows and books!

Jul 15, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Grammy Apple

Export the slideshow to the Movies folder. I can't comment on the format for Airplay as I don't have that capability.

I would like to experiment saving to a DVD also.

Do you have iDVD on your Mac? If not you'll need a video DVD authoring app so you can create and burn a video DVD. iDVD if by far the most professional video DVD authoring app for the general consumer. There are other apps at the App Store. I've not used any of them but none have been praised very highly in the iDVD forum. Here's how to create a video dvd from a Photos slideshow:

Export the slideshow out of Photos as a QT movie file at the 480p format.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

If iDVD was not preinstalled on your Mac you'll have to obtain it by purchasing a copy of the iLife 09 disk from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com: ilife 09: Software or eBay.com. Why, because iDVD (and iWeb) was discontinued by Apple over a year ago.

Why iLife 09 instead of 11?

If you have to purchase an iLife disc in order to obtain the iDVD application remember that the iLife 11 disc only provides themes from iDVD 5-7. The Software Update no longer installs the earlier themes when starting from the iLIfe 11 disk nor do any of the iDVD 7 updaters available from the Apple Downloads website contain them.

Currently the only sure fire way to get all themes is to start with the iLife 09 disc:

User uploaded file

This shows the iDVD contents in the iLife 09 disc via Pacifist:

User uploaded file

You then can upgrade from iDVD 7.0.3 to iDVD 7.1.2 via this updater: iDVD 7.1.2

Jul 18, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, your reply above inspired me to install iDVD from an old iLife 09 pack I had in my files. It installed OK, and gave me version 7.0.3 as you noted.

The problem I ran into is that the updater you linked requires 7.0.4 (despite being recommended on the web page for all users of iDVD 7) and so will not install on top of 7.0.3 from iLife 09. After installing the 7.0.4 updater (from a link you supplied in another thread), 7.1.2 installed fine. You may want to update your boilerplate (if that wasn't all from memory).

Grammy Apple, you should install iDVD 7.0.4 after iLife 09 and before the 7.1.2 updater Old Toad mentioned earlier in this thread.

Jul 23, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Old Toad

I haven't thrown in the towel yet. But I think I'm over my head. The iLife, IDVD is pretty complicated for me. I'm much slower at sorting all of this out than you are, and I end up spending an inordinate amount of time. BUT, I'm willing to learn if that is what I need to do. In the meantime.........

I saved the slideshow in movies. I saved it at 1080 instead of 480, my goof up. But it does not save "in" Quicktime Player (not listed there), it goes to Movies in my Finder. I have a Samsung DVD writer SE - 218. I decided to try that. I used a DVD+R and was able to burn the slideshow to the DVD. It will play on my computer but not a DVD player that would play to a TV. Quicktime player opens it on the DVD to play on my computer.

What am I missing that it won't play in a stand alone DVD player for tv viewing? Format?

Thank you for your help. I have googled this a million ways. You are the lifeline.

Jul 23, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Grammy Apple

You can't just burn a Quicktime move to a DVD with the Finder and have it play on a TV set. You need video authoring software like iDVD to create a video DVD project and proceed as I posted in my previous reply.

1 - launch iDVD and create a project.

2 - select a theme, preferrable an older one without animation and drop zones.

3 - drag the 480p movie file into the open iDVD menu window and place where you'd like.

4 - use the File ➙ Save as Disk image menu option to create a disk image of the project.

5 - double click on the disk image to mount it and launchy DVD Player to play it and make sure it plays correctlyl

6 - launch Disk Utility and burn the disk image of the project to a DVD disk at the slowest speed available.

Jul 23, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Old Toad

Is there a DVD software out there that you would recommend? Since IDVD is not supported and you have to go back to iLife '09, I thought maybe there was something out there that was as good and for me "user friendly"! I looked a little, but there appear to be a lot of choices. I would much prefer personal recommendations. I looked at one called Voilabits. It has a range of capability, but if it isn't user friendly, it doesn't matter.

Jul 26, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Dear Old Toad, Thank you for the info on iDVD. I have been reading about the dvd authorizing software and I understand better what you were trying to tell me. If you will allow, let me back up and ask what possibly should have been my first question. Ultimately what I am trying to do is share photo slideshows with family and friends. These would be special personal photos they would enjoy viewing, but it needs to be easy for them. Initially I thought I should do this with a USB Flashdrive. They could plug it into computers and mirror to their TV (Chromecast, Apple TV, etc.). Then I thought the dvd in their dvd player would be easier for them. I just didn't realize how "dated' dvd sharing is now. I don't want to share through You-Tube or anything like that. The flashdrive or dvd also becomes a backup for my photos. Therefore, would you recommend pursuing the DVD concept or do you think that the flash drive is a better way to go. I am happy to read any references that you feel would help me get savvy about this.

Jul 26, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Grammy Apple

If the movie file is less than 5 GB in since you can try emailing ite to each of the recipients using Mail Drop.

How to Use Mail Drop to Send Large Files Over Email from ...

Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

Or use Dropbox.

Personally I'd try using one of the two methods above before going to the effort of getting flash drives or CD/DVD disks and using them.

Jul 26, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Old Toad

Hmmm......In order to pursue the DVD I must have software. It appears that any Apple person with experience on DVD's, stands by the iDVD. I have to say I freeze when I look at the process of "iLife 9....iLife 7.." and getting it all set up. It would be nice for me to find the product and hit download! 🙂 If I use the flash drive....... I believe that I just save the project as a quicktime movie and drag and drop to the flash drive. My question on that...If I create the project on a Mac (Apple Photo), drag and drop to a flash drive do I need to use a special flash drive (Windows and Mac). It will need to have the capability to be played on any pc. I apologize for what may seem like basic questions, but I have to get over this hump to move forward.

Jul 26, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Grammy Apple

Hmmm......In order to pursue the DVD I must have software.

Only is you want to create a video DVD that will play on a TV set. If you just want to distribute the slideshow quicktime file then just burn the file to the disk using the Finder.

If I create the project on a Mac (Apple Photo), drag and drop to a flash drive do I need to use a special flash drive (Windows and Mac).

Most if not all flash drives come formatted for Windows, MS -DOS. Make sure by selecting the drive on the Desktop and typing Command + i to bring up the Info window. There you'll see

User uploaded file

Jul 26, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Old Toad

Awesome! I will play around with this and see how I do with it. I have to take a break from it for a couple of weeks, but will get back on top of it. I will let you know my progress! Thanks ever so much. It is so exciting to get to share great photo memories with special people, in my family I'm the one who is interested in trying to keep up with photos and learn how to manage them. I think I fit the description that I've learned enough to be dangerous, sometimes creating time intensive messes. But I am getting better thanks to this support community. I'm going to try the flash drive!

I have created a slideshow with Apple Photo, ready to export it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.