Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to load a Library stored on NAS - iTunes 12.2.1

Hi All,

I did the software update to iTunes 12.2.1.16 this evening hoping my original library would return to it's former self. No such luck.

I have a library of around 12,500 songs carefully curated and put together over the last 8 years or so. The library has been stored on a LaCie CloudBox NAS Drive for the last two years, and although sometimes a little slow to start, overall has ran very well.

Since the 12.2 update the library went totally haywire - songs missing, tracks playing the wrong song, wrong artwork, albums missing etc. Apple Music side and iCloud Music seems to be fine. Also all the original files seem to be intact and in order on my NAS.

Now when I try to load the library from my 'CloudBox' using the little home icon in the top left corner of the app, iTunes begins loading the library but after about 5 seconds just stops, and with no error message reverts back to the iCloud Library (which I understand is streamed content?) which displays nearly all the music that I have locally on my iPhone, bar the tracks that aren't on Apple Music.

I really don't want to lose all the music I've spent nearly the last decade collecting and putting together. Although the vast majority is indeed now on Apple Music I'm still not completely sold on the transition and I have a lot of self-recorded music, demo's and other recordings that are not available online.

There is also not a particularly strong and reliable internet connected where I live, and now matter how vast the library on Apple Music is, I'm not ready to rely on it 100%. The speed at which one can browse Apple Music does not compare to browsing my old library in Playlist view, where every song I had was all but a few keystrokes away.

Any advice, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ollie

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 / OS X 10.10.4 / iTunes 12.2.1.16

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 3:02 PM

4 replies

Jul 13, 2015 8:10 PM in response to olliebuchanan88

Is this one of those NAS that function as an iTunes library server? I don't know exactly how those work other than I strongly suspect that is mostly programming done by the NAS manufacturer and you will have to contact them about this. It is not unusual for iTunes updates to break such things but Apple's attitude is it is up the the third party to deal with it. Using NAS with iTunes even as a plain drive shows up frequently with problems here on the forum and using a server probably means twice the peril.

Jul 15, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Limnos

It's doesn't function as server but just acts as the location of where the media folder of my iTunes Library is stored. The iTunes Library file is still stored locally on the HD of my Mac.

I tried adding a new album (not downloaded from iTunes) and it imported and plays successfully - and correctly stored all the files and folders on the NAS as normal.

Jul 15, 2015 6:39 PM in response to olliebuchanan88

I also have a NAS (a Synology), but I'm no longer storing my iTunes library on it. My library now sits on an external drive now which, in theory, should be similar to keeping the music on a NAS. My library was shredded this evening as well and this fix worked for me - iTunes 12.2.0 have deleted all of my playlists and most songs...

It's worth a shot, just back up the .itl and .xml files before replacing them.

Good luck, I hope that helps!

Aug 2, 2015 2:09 AM in response to James Smutek

Took me a while to get round to having a look at this - but yes it worked, thank you! Had nothing recent in my previous libraries folder, but used a file from a time machine backup and only had to re-add about 5 albums.

Let's hope for the next update iTunes in the Cloud will play nicely with existing libraries! For now though, we'll keep that feature switched off...

Thanks again James!

Unable to load a Library stored on NAS - iTunes 12.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.