Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrading to IOS8, skip on shuffle stopped working

After upgrading to IOS8 skip on shuffle stopped working. I removed all the songs, synched, added them back, still plays the songs marked to skip. Using iPod 5th generation 64 gig. Anyone else having same issue? Any advice?

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.4, 64 gig

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 4:15 PM

7 replies

Jul 14, 2015 2:34 AM in response to THS110

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Jul 14, 2015 8:31 AM in response to THS110

You are not the only one having issues with the skip when shuffling option. Re: Iphone not skipping songs marked to skip? I'm fairly certain it was something that was overlooked when the new music app was released for iOS 8.4. Resetting everything and restoring your phone from a back up will not fix the issue. It's annoying for sure as I have a lot of songs too in my library that I would like to skip that don't. All you can do is hope that it is something Apple fixes on their end in the near future.

Jul 14, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Doodlely Jumper

Thank you! I too believe something was overlooked with the skip while shuffling functionality. For the time being I am going to wait and see if Apple fixes it before taking more drastic steps. I totally removed the songs I wanted to skip from iTunes and the Ipod and waited a day or so. Then put them back in. Unless Apple logically deleted the songs in the database, and when I brought them back in, reactivated the same records, it should have worked. Thanks again and no offense to Illaass.

Aug 8, 2015 3:14 PM in response to THS110

The new music app has made strides in terms of its shuffling capabilities with the new iOS 9 beta version that was released this last week. However, songs marked in iTunes as skip when shuffling still get mixed in the shuffle all feature. Who knows if it is something that Apple will address anytime soon. My guess is that it's not exactly high on their priority list.

But I did manage to find a work around from another thread. It will require a little tweaking in your music library, but you can create a self updating smart playlist and name it something like Shuffle. As a rule you can create something like Comments -- is not -- No Shuffle. At this point it would probably pull in every song from your library. If you then went through the info for the individual tracks and added a comment that said No Shuffle for the songs you had marked as skip when shuffling, those tracks would automatically be removed from your smart playlist. So now when you shuffle that playlist, it plays only that which is in your library that you want to hear. Want a song back in that playlist? Simply just delete the comment.

As you get more comfortable with building smart playlists, you can get creative in the way you set them up. But this way essentially creates the same effect as clicking the Shuffle All option and having it skip the songs marked as skip when shuffling. And may be your best option at this point. Hope this helps.

Sep 2, 2015 1:08 PM in response to THS110

I too have been working with the Beta iOS 9, version 3 and the skip when shuffling option is inactive. I've reported it through the feedback app installed when you put the beta version on your device. I've also complained here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html. Although it may be something insignificant, I have other threads working with plenty of people upset about the same thing. My suggestion is to make a formal complaint. It's not going to be fixed unless they get enough people upset about it, that it can't go unnoticed.

I've seen the threads on alternatives that Doodlely Jumper has suggested. That's fine if you have a few hundred songs. I'm nearly at 4000 songs and there's no way I'm going to remotely try to go through all my music to organize what has already been organized. I listen to a genre that is not widely known (Texas Country, Red Dirt Music, Americana, or whatever you want to call it), so I have little faith that even apple radio can play the stuff I want to hear.

Shawn

After upgrading to IOS8, skip on shuffle stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.