Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages on iMac keeps asking for AOL Messages Password

My iMac version OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4

27 inch, late 2013

Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

HI,

I can't do a screen share with my family member through Messages and I finally found out why. I didn't have my AIM account set up and now that I have it set up. It keeps asking for my AOL Instant Messenger Password. So I typed it in and It will not go away and it will not allow me to stay online to screen share. What do I do to get rid of this message?

I have already looked in the Key chain for the AIM password and I do not see it? What next?

Messages version: Version 8.0 (4752)

Thank You,

Carrie

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 4:47 PM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2015 11:59 AM in response to JustCJ123

Hi,

In Applications/Utilities is the Keychain Access App.

Either in the Login item (top left) or Local Items (also top left) should be the item for the AIM Login

In may read like this:-

com.apple.account.aim.password and when you mouse over it more details about which AIM ID/Screen Name it is should appear.

You may see it look like this though:-

User uploaded file

It will say Application Password in the top section when you mouse over or select it.

this type is more common for Screen Names that were registered at AIM rather than from elsewhere like the Apple ID.

If the AIM item is a Screen Name from AIM then it is also possible that an Account in System Preferences > Internet Accounts have been set up and will list it as AOL and add @AOL.com to the end of it.

If in Messages it has the @AOL.com added edit the Account so it does not list there.

If the Keychain access app does not list the item it is possible you have lost Permissions to Write to the Keychain.

In the Finder use the Go Menu > GO to Folder and enter ~/Library/Keychains

Once in this folder highlight the Login item.

Then do a Get Info (CMD+i keys together)

Scroll to the bottom of the Info panel.

Your shortname should appear.

You should have Read and Write permissions.

Highlight your name.

Then use the little cogwheel icon under the list.

This should be greyed out but start about making you the Owner. (if you already are it will be greyed out).

Repeat for Login Items

User uploaded file

7:59 p.m. Tuesday; July 14, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Messages on iMac keeps asking for AOL Messages Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.