Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange Trackpad Mouse Problem

Hello,

Macbook Pro 2009 13" 2.53 GHz (MacbookPro 5,5), 1 TB Samsung 850 SSD, 8 GB RAM, MacOS 10.9.5, latest updates.

I have an annoying problem with my trackpad, which started to happen about a week ago. None of the info I found so far in Google or the Apple forums offered a solution.

Sometimes the mouse stops moving or moves sporadically, making it nearly impossible to navigate. Left and right-clicking and selecting with the mouse and using the keyboard appears to be working fine. When the problem occurs, the only way to fix it is to restart the system, at least temporarily.

Since it looked like a software problem, I reinstalled the OS from scratch, updating and installing software one at the time to see if there was any clue. Nothing. I have not been able to identify any pattern. It seems more likely to occur several minutes after the system is woke up from sleep, but I'm not able to reproduce it on demand. Whether the system is connected to the Internet does not make a difference. I also experienced the issue in Save Boot.

I recently replaced the internal HDD with a SSD. I also decided that I no longer want to use 10.10 and installed 10.9. There is no dirt or moisture. I even unscrewed and removed the trackpad to clean it and the part of the Unibody case. The battery is old and needs to be replaced, but it is not swollen and otherwise working normally, just not having the full capacity anymore.

In case it means anything, I had occasional issues in the past with two finger right-click not working The internal HD flex-cable went bad near the end of the 2 year warranty. I wonder if this is perhaps another flex-cable problem, trackpad this time.

Any other ideas, or something else I should try before getting a new trackpad?

Here is what I already tried, please do not suggest again:

Reset SMC,

Reset PRAM

Reinstalled OS from scratch.

Removed and cleaned the trackpad.

Using another user account.

Reselecting trackpad preferences.

Save boot

Turned off Wifi

Turned off Bluetooth

Reseating the memory

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2015 7:59 PM

3 replies

Jul 21, 2015 1:37 PM in response to voidcom

The mouse problem returned, being even more persistent. The problem also happened when running the the Apple hardware test or running service diagnostics. This pretty much indicates that it is a problem with the hardware.

I decided to take out the trackpad, this time removing the trackpad flex cable from the trackpad. As it turns out, the contacts on the flex cable where it goes into the trackpad looked rather orange than gold. I cleaned them with alcohol and a tooth brush and now they look shiny gold again. Removing the cable is a bit tricky, but here are several youtube videos showing how to open the cable connector. Be careful since the flex cable is clued on the trackpad. So far so good. This may have finally solved the problem.

Strange Trackpad Mouse Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.