Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble removing fcpx 10.2.1 files from mac

hello,

i am using the FCPX 10.2.1

I am editing a series of short videos which comprise of events and projects.

The raw video files are sourced from an sd card.

The editing of the files are done through the macintosh hard drive.

To delete a project and relevant event file, I right click on the item and choose move to trash. Strangely enough instead of freeing up space on my hard drive it is actually eating up space on my hard drive. Very strange and i am now down to having 3GB of hard drive space left.

I can't find the files in the trash.

I noticed under library properties there is an item called Backups and they are going to the "final cut backups" folder. Is there any chance that the deleted files are going into here and should i be deleting the files from here?

Does anyone know where the deleted files are going and how can i delete them permanently so i can free up space on my hard drive.

Would appreciate anyone's help if possible. Thank you.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 3:25 AM

21 replies

Jul 14, 2015 3:43 AM in response to Mantravine

What is deleted and how depends a lot on your workflow.

If you delete a clip from your browser, and it is being used in a project, it will not be deleted (or the project would stop working). This may well be your case.

If your media is external, it is never deleted by FCP X.

You need to let us know more about what you are doing.

For the future, instead of creating and deleting projects inside one library, consider creating several libraries, according to what you are working on, and simply move the libraries out to a backup drive.

Jul 14, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

hello,

here is a screen shot of a project when i open it up.

User uploaded file

here is a screenshot of the relevant event when i open it up

User uploaded file

This video is using 1 video file and 1 pdf file.

Steps to make a video

1. I make a new event and i drag the video file from the SD card to the event folder.

2. I made a project template and then i keep duplicating it for each video.

3. I add the video from the relevant event into the relevant project timeline and edit my video.

4. After editing i export the file.

5. Then I delete the project and event by right clicking and selecting "move event to trash" for events and "move to trash" for projects. However it's a bit strange that i can't find anything in my mac trash folder

My library properties are as follows:

User uploaded file

Please let me know if there is any other information i can provide.

Jul 14, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Mantravine

FWIW, I'd like to make a quick suggestion: unless you're working on many different projects, consider moving inactive events (and their projects) to new archive libraries and store them on an external archive (backup) drive. How you do this depends on whether you are editing across events, or whether each event/project is independent.

Doing this will accomplish a lot in terms of risk management and in increasing performance. (Performance starts to suffer as libraries get larger with higher numbers of events.)

Russ

Jul 14, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Mantravine

File->Delete Generated Library Files is a very useful command. As the name implies, these files are generated by the application (AND they can be REgenerated if necessary) - they include render files, optmized and proxy media. Render files in particular can be successively created when you make changes, and keep growing, even if they are no longer used. Optimized media typically takes a lot more space than original and may or may not help with editing smoothly.

Bottom line:

File->Delete Generated Library Files

is harmless and can get you hundreds of GB of disk space back...

Jul 15, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Mantravine

Mantravine wrote:

hi luis,

your suggestions have been really helpful. thank you very much.

one last question...how do i regenerate that which i have deleted?

Render files are created by the software to ease playback (either automatically if you have background rendering on, or on demand when you choose "render all" or "render selection"); usually it is recommended to keep background rendering off, and only render portions if FCP X can't play them smoothly without rendering.

Optimized media can be created by control-clicking on a clip or clips and choosing Transcode Media... again, depending on what you are doing, you may not need this. FCP X can handle AVCHD media recorded by most consumer cameras natively, and optimized media can take a huge amount of space (about 10x the size of AVCHD is typical); so don't do this unless you need it.

Proxy media is a lower quality version, easier to edit it, but still may take more space than typical AVCHD; it is of more use if you do multicam or work with high end stuff, very high resolution like RED cameras and such. Not needed for run of the mill consumer stuff, mostly. It is created the same way as optimized.

Jul 15, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Mantravine

Mantravine wrote:

hey russ,

thank you for this suggestion.

in my case each event and project are independent. how do i transfer each event and it's relevant project to a separate hard drive easily?

Which version are you using? Talking of events and projects as separate entities suggests you are still on 10.0.*.

Since 10.1, libraries contain events and events contain clips and projects.

Oct 5, 2015 3:21 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

hi luis

i have another inquiry that has arisen revolving this topic

a) how do you activate a backup?

b) how do you save backups externally?

c) how do you remove unnecessary backups?

I want to activate earlier files that i deleted as i want to re-edit and re-export. I have already deleted generated files so im a bit afraid i might have already deleted the files.

I have seen that there are some backups in my movies - final cut backups folder

User uploaded file

If you have any information on backups that could be helpful, that would be much appreciated.

thank you

trouble removing fcpx 10.2.1 files from mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.