Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen won't wake up (Mac mini)

We've been using a Mac mini for the last 18 months with an old Acer screen connected via a VGA - thunderbolt adapter. This morning the screen won't get any signal from the Mac mini.

- Screen is OK (turns on fine and reports 'no signal'

- Mac is on (solid light on front)

Have tried:

- Hard restart of Mac (holding power button) several times

- Unplugging and re-plugging ALL cables for both Mac and monitor

- Repeatedly pressing both keyboard and mouse buttons

Have searched online and see many others have had the same problem. I understand that adjusting the sleep settings is a possible temporary fix BUT I can't get the screen to come on at all so am unable to change any settings. I do not have an apple keyboard so am unable to restart pressing anything that requires a 'command key' function.

Any help would be much appreciated before I tear my hair out 🙂

Mac mini 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Cor

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 2:57 AM

5 replies

Jul 15, 2015 1:55 AM in response to lllaass

Hi Illaass,

Thanks for the reply and the keyboard links.

Have tried resetting both NVRAM and SMC - still the same problem.

When re-setting the NVRAM, the second set of chimes sounded fine as per instructions but still no dice with getting anything on the monitor other than 'no signal'. I've ordered a replacement VGA adapter so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's just that but I doubt it will be that simple....

Jul 19, 2015 12:58 PM in response to itstoppedworkingagain

It would be great to hear if you have success with the new VGA adapter. Do let us know, please.

I have a similar problem with a 2012 MacMini and I have been resigned not to let it sleep ever.

I just updated to Yosemite hoping it would cure this, which started with Mavericks, but no luck.

Exactly the same symptoms as before:

the computer had gone to sleep,

then it wakes up after keyboard or mouse movement, or also after pressing the power button,

but the black stubborn screen is stuck with "No Signal".

Gracias!

Screen won't wake up (Mac mini)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.