Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing "ENABLE 4G" in iPhone 5 cellular settings

Having an iPhone 5 model # MD297F/A 4G, being subscribed to a cellular company who offers 4G LTE connection under IOS 7.1.1, I do not find the "Enable 4G" on the cellular settings of my iPhone, only "Enable 3G".

The iPhone 5 model I have supports 4G and has the possibility of 4G connectivity.

I checked on an upgraded IOS 8.4 iPad devices, but it has the same exact issue.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 2:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 4:00 AM

Look in the iPhone 5 section here:

<https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/>

to see which carriers support the LTE bands of your phone in your country.

10 replies

Jul 14, 2015 4:35 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you for your response Malcolm,

I had checked your link prior posting this question. The model number MD297F/A 4G of my iPhone is not even listed on that list, neither is my country (Morocco).

This is why I am posting this question, hoping to find a method to activate the 4G of the phone.

The phone model is stated to be able to support 4G, but nowhere on the settings do I find the option to choose it.

Jul 14, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Correction Malcolm, my model is MD297F/A 4G with Carrier 16.1, not A1429

The telephone company is MAROC TELECOM.

But when I call them to complain that I couldn't find the 4G option, they say that if the phone wasn't bought from their stores, it won't work with 4G.

I find this to be nonsense, because if the phone has the capacity to work at 4G level, then whether it was bought from them or not, it should still work?

No?

Any suggestions on how to make this work?

Jul 14, 2015 6:44 AM in response to Hanzo305

They have the option to enable it or not. Here in the US, AT&T has the hotspot option enabled for anyone paying for certain plans. Those that are grandfathered into their unlimited data plan from years ago still do not have an option to use the hotspot - even though the phone supports it. If the carrier wants to have specific rules about how to get 4G then they have that right to do so.

Jul 14, 2015 6:55 AM in response to anypats

Ohh!! They can block who connects to their provided 4G access through their phones. Well that is new information for me.

Thank you for that.

So I should bring my phone to Maroc Telecom and see with them.

They will make it seem as if IMPOSSIBLE, hence forcing me to buy a Brand new iPhone from them $$$.

No possible software glitch to enable the 4G on it?

Or does it force a jailbreak situation?

Jul 14, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Hanzo305

There is not a "software glitch" that will allow you to enable 4G if the carrier is not allowing it. While we are not allowed to discuss jailbreaking here in the community, realize that it's from the carrier's side so regardless of what you do to your phone, if they don't have 4G enabled on your account you don't have any way of accessing it.

Jul 14, 2015 7:15 AM in response to anypats

Sorry for bringing up the "jailbreak" scenario. Definitely not something I thought of doing.

Conclusion is, if they do not give me authorization to use the 4G, it won't happen.

That's weird, because I am subscribed to their data plan. But they will pressure me to buy another iphone from them for the 4G.

Thank you for your help anypats and Malcolm.

Jul 14, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Hanzo305

Correction Malcolm, my model is MD297F/A 4G with Carrier 16.1, not A1429

A1429 is the model number for a group of iPhone 5 variants. Within that group are different capacities, colors, and country specific versions. The 297 in you model number means it is a black, 16 GB, A1429.

A1428 is the other iPhone 5 group. It is GSM only, and has different LTE bands (2, 4, 5, and 17).

According to this

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks>

Maroc uses LTE bands 3 and 20. The A1429 versions of the iPhone 5 support LTE band 3, so your iPhone should work there, but there is nothing stopping them from not enabling it on a phone they didn't sell. They know the IMEI numbers of their phones.

Missing "ENABLE 4G" in iPhone 5 cellular settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.