Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

three finger gesture for dictionary is not working for ibooks with my 10.10.4 version, but previously it was ok

Three-finger gesture for dictionary is not working for ibooks with my 10.10.4 version, but previously it was ok. Instead it now requires double click, which is rather cumbersome. What's problem? What's to be done?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 9:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 9:09 AM

Hi there smooth.calcutta,

It sounds like you are three finger tapping the trackpad on your computer but the dictionary doesn't activate and define the word. You should check to see if the three finger tap is enabled in System Preferences:

Mac Basics: Multi-Touch gestures

The Trackpad or Mouse panes of System Preferences contains preview movie clips for each gesture.

If it is selected, then de select it, restart the computer, and try again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2015 9:09 AM in response to somnath.calcutta

Hi there smooth.calcutta,

It sounds like you are three finger tapping the trackpad on your computer but the dictionary doesn't activate and define the word. You should check to see if the three finger tap is enabled in System Preferences:

Mac Basics: Multi-Touch gestures

The Trackpad or Mouse panes of System Preferences contains preview movie clips for each gesture.

If it is selected, then de select it, restart the computer, and try again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Jul 16, 2015 12:46 PM in response to sterling r

Hello,

I have the exact same problem - the three finger look up gesture in iBooks was fine before the latest update and since has stopped working.

The problem occurs only when using iBooks, on any other page or App the look up gesture does work. I have tried what you suggest and restarted my lap top multiple times with no success. I hope the problem is resolved soon (in the next update hopefully).

Jul 21, 2015 1:14 AM in response to nikolfromsofia

Hi,

I have the same experience and of the same opinion the problem would be solved soon in the next update.

I would request iBOOKS team for features like sharing via mail which is possible with Preview, and other frequently available format like djbu, modi could be directly opened with iBOOKS.

Looking forward for response from iBOOK Team.

Somnath

Nov 19, 2015 8:50 AM in response to somnath.calcutta

I have exactly the same problem on OS X 10.11.1, which seems to be unable to fix this bug. While accidentally I found a relatively simple way to make it do, by double clicking upon the word to be looked up with one finger and then single clicking with three fingers. Not so good, but at least better than searching for "look up" in the secondary menu.

three finger gesture for dictionary is not working for ibooks with my 10.10.4 version, but previously it was ok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.