Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Re-install

I purchased a mac mini, immediately loaded all my photos, it now runs like a dog and is unusable.

It has 107GB of 499GB free

It takes ten minutes to boot up and having more than one app open at a time is unworkable.

I only want to listen to iTunes, browse Safari and use simple spreadsheets.I have no "technical" powerful apps.

I have let it slide and now I'm out of warranty so I'm being asked for a £25 just to talk to Apple Support.

Would a new install fix my problem if it removed all the photos or is the mac mini just not up to it?

Would just removing the photos to an external HDD solve the problem?

How can I restore to factory settings. How do I order an os cd? Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 1:32 PM

8 replies

Jul 14, 2015 1:34 PM in response to mantometz

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Jul 14, 2015 2:16 PM in response to mantometz

You will need an external hard drive formatted for the Mac that is connected to the computer. In the /Users/ folder at the root level of the hard drive select the folder, then double-click to open a Finder window. In the folder you will see your Home (user account) folder with your username below the house icon. Select the Home folder's icon and drag it to the external drive's Desktop icon in order to copy the entire folder to the external drive.

After finishing your reinstallation of OS X simply open the /Home/ folder on your external drive to reveal its content. Select all the folders EXCEPT the Desktop and Library folders. Drag the selection into the new system's Home folder. You will be asked if you want to replace the existing content. Click OK.

Mac Mini Re-install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.