Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive reads writes CDs, but not DVDs

The Superdrives of both my MBP 2011 and my Imac 27" 2010 have both gone a little off kilter. They will read and write CDs, but simply refuse to do anything with a DVD - my MBP just spits it out, and my Imac sometimes won't even do that without my going into terminal and ordering it to eject from there.

Anybody have any ideas about what might be going on?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 27inch i7 2.93

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 2:52 PM

6 replies

Jul 14, 2015 3:03 PM in response to durantophone

Another help source (if you haven't already done so).

Go to your OS Help Menu. In the search field type dvd

Click on all the troubleshooting topics & Support Articles that pertain to your issue.

You can also do the same in Disk Utility. Open same up.

At the bottom left of the window, click on the purple button w/the "?" in the middle.

This will bring up the Help Menu.

===============

Try a different brand. Top forum favorites

CDs

FUJI

TDK

Verbatim

DVDs

Maxell

Verbatim

==============

Apple's Disc Burning Quick Assist

Make sure the DVDs are not dirty, smudged and/or scratched.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2000Mac doesn't start up from install disc

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2801Apple Computers: Troubleshooting the slot-loading SuperDrive

*** Your drive may need cleaning. Cleaning kits can be purchased from any store that sells CD/DVDs. ***

User uploaded file

Jul 15, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Hi

Thanks much for these tips, but none of these steps has really helped at all. The MBP just chews on the DVD for a while, and spits it out. Still plays and records CDs just fine.

How can it be hardware - more realistically firmware or software issue, no?

the iMac is just plain ornery, sometimes read and writes, sometimes doesn't, sometimes requires Terminal commands to spit it out.

Still does a great job with CDs, just like the MBP.

I hate to buy new hardware to resolve a non hardware issue, but nobody seems to have a handle on what is actually the problem.

Jul 15, 2015 1:35 PM in response to a brody

As I understand it the pram replacement would be beyond my expertise. anytime I have to solder something to a motherboard I bring it to someone else.

I'd probably try an external burner first.

But thanks for the reply.

By the way, I always thought that the clock losing time was the first symptom of the pram battery going - is that not true any more?

Thanks

Jul 15, 2015 2:03 PM in response to durantophone

durantophone wrote:

As I understand it the pram replacement would be beyond my expertise. anytime I have to solder something to a motherboard I bring it to someone else.

You are not soldering anything. CLICKY CLICK---> How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

I'd probably try an external burner first.

Probably your best bet. MBP optical drives tend to be very flaky.

But thanks for the reply.

By the way, I always thought that the clock losing time was the first symptom of the pram battery going - is that not true any more?

Answered in the KB Article link above.

Thanks

How can it be hardware

Optical drives are hardware. 😉

You have the option of taking your MBP to an Apple Store or an AASP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!!

User uploaded file

Superdrive reads writes CDs, but not DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.