Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud files not updating in Numbers

Hello all,

I'm on a 1 year old iMac, running OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4 that's been fully updated running numbers and this has happened a few times:

I open the iMac, do a couple things wait for everything to load up and then open Numbers to go update a spreadsheet via Numbers that I've looked at earlier in the day through iCloud and a browser. I go to open up a file and I notice that none of the files that I was working on today or the day before are updating with the whole 'Synching with iCloud'. I go, check my internet connection do some other stuff and then come back thinking that it just takes a min. for the computer to catch up (not really sure why it's a pretty new machine and really isn't that data heavy of a set of files) and yup still noting.

I need to work on these files and there doesn't seem to be a way to force a refresh of the files beyond restarting the machine. I've closed and reopened and nothing occurs. I'm not sitting here looking at the iCloud website with the files updated there and the Numbers 'Open' screen and the files don't match. I know that if I edit the files on the machine they could overwrite the most recent iCloud files...so what's a guy gotta do to have stuff talk to each other here?

This is the one big complaint, stuff takes quite a bit to sync up when start the Mac and try and check email and what not, it seems like there's almost a delay?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 6:12 PM

5 replies

Jul 14, 2015 6:18 PM in response to spfaff2

spfaff2 wrote:

recent iCloud files...so what's a guy gotta do to have stuff talk to each other here?

This is the one big complaint, stuff takes quite a bit to sync up when start the Mac and try and check email and what not, it seems like there's almost a delay?

If sync is working but slow, then maybe you have a slow internet connection.

If it's not working at all, then sometimes it helps in System Preference > iCloud to sign out of your iCloud account and then back in.

Sync should happen fairly quickly.

SG

Jul 14, 2015 6:21 PM in response to spfaff2

This should help:

What if my files aren’t updating to iCloud?

Check these things first:

• Check your Internet connection. In your iOS device’s status bar, look for an Edge, 3G, 4G, LTE, or Wi-Fi icon. On your computer, look in your local network utility for an active wired or wireless network connection. Then open a website from your browser to make sure you're connected.
  • Sign in to iCloud on all of your devices, and turn on iCloud Drive.
  • Install the latest versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. See which versions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote you can use with iCloud Drive.
  • Make sure you have enough iCloud storage. If you exceed your iCloud storage quota, your files won’t upload to iCloud Drive and edits won’t update across your devices. Learn how to upgrade your iCloud storage.
  • Create a new document and save it to see if it uploads to iCloud. If it does, see if the other documents start uploading.

If you tried these steps and your files still don’t upload to iCloud:

1. Stay signed in to iCloud.
  2. Save your updated files to a different folder on your Mac or PC.
  3. Contact Apple Support.

Jul 14, 2015 6:22 PM in response to SGIII

I hear what you're saying but I get speeds of 50+ down and 15+ uploads.

I actually just went into one of the files and started typing something and then just waited and that seemed to break it loose, but that's not what SHOULD be happening given that there's not anything crazy going on.

And I hear you on signing out and then back into iCloud but again, that's the reason for choosing the ecosystem, shouldn't be going down like this and multiple times.

Thanks for the reply though.

Jul 14, 2015 6:43 PM in response to spfaff2

We're just fellow users here. 🙂 iCloud has been really solid here for a long time now, though I remember in the beginning I had glitches somewhat like yours. Often it's a case of giving iCloud a somewhat mysterious "kick in the pants" and thereafter it works well. How to kick it varies by situation. One thing that has worked for some people is in Finder to hold down the option key and Go > Library > Mobile Documents > Numbers, move the documents there out of that folder to someplace safe, give iCloud a chance to sync, and see if the documents "reappear" there.

Also, just in case, in System Preferences > iCloud you might double-check that (after clicking the 'Options...' button) there is still a check beside 'Numbers.app'.

SG

iCloud files not updating in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.