Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random letters in messages

Over the past 3 weeks my iPhone 6 has begun adding random letters to messages and email addresses, like (jhhjjjjjhggggghhhhhhhhhhhh) and back space does not work. Has anyone else encountered this and what is the solution?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 7:52 PM

2 replies

Jul 14, 2015 7:57 PM in response to GJH59

There may be some kind of issue with your touch screen. Let's check the simple stuff first. Try just resetting your phone, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home Button for 10-20 seconds until you see the Apple logo. Let go and allow the iPhone to reboot.

Also check to make sure you don't have one of those covers on the screen, sometimes they glitch out the screen. If that doesn't fix the issue, please follow the steps in this article...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1827

If nothing changes you'll want to follow these steps to backup your data and call Apple for help in restoring the device or bring into an Apple Store so they can evaluate the device for you there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

Out of all my experience with apple devices, this has never occurred. Have you ever dropped your phone or poured any liquid on it?

Hope I helped,

Zack 🙂

Jul 15, 2015 12:34 AM in response to ZackTheGreat

Thanks for you advice...

I am doing a factory restore as I have done innumerable soft resets as that was sometimes the only way I could get the random acts to stop. It is not a very old phone and I have always put screen protectors on my devices and had no trouble. The phone has not been wet and has slipped off a table but has a silicone cover on it and does not appear damaged and the problem did not start at that point either.

I did hear that this is a known hardware problem but was trying to find accurate information on that issue.

Random letters in messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.