Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to completely and totally reset Messages.app settings?

I need to reset my Messages.app settings 100% to a blank default state. I have reviewed some other solutions which have not done the trick for me.

By running the following in the shell, I was able to ascertain what I thought were the paths of configuration files, etc:

`sudo fs_usage -f diskio -w |grep essages |grep -v mbox|egrep "Library|references"`

I therefore saw that I should eliminate the following entries:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Messages

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iChat*

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.imessage*

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.imservice*

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.imagent.plist

~/Library/IdentityServices

It appears that I've missed some because there are still settings floating about. I must get rid of all account information and be able to start from scratch. How can I do this?

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 10:39 PM

8 replies

Jun 24, 2017 12:29 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

Try this Users tip When the iMessages account will not Login

If you have got as far as you have in testing then it is most likely the server end.

User uploaded file

8:29 pm Saturday; June 24, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Jun 25, 2017 12:19 PM in response to ylluminate

Hi,

The issue is that the iMessage login takes the Apple ID, Password and the Serial Number which are held in a Keychain item called IDS: AppleID-Auth Token.

You can "recreate" the issue if you Migrate one Mac user to another computer as the IDS item is taken with the Keychain.

It seems this is part of a security feature to stop other people signing in as "you".

The Serial Number issue has been around since Messages 7.0.1 at the OS X 10.8.2 up which is when the hints of this started.

Apple are aware of it but as with most things they will not discuss it until they have an answer.

This does mean that when you phone Apple Support you can get somewhat mixed responses once you get above the Level One Responders.

At the end of the day the Engineers have to reset the Apple ID in relation to the one Mac effected at the Server end.

For those effected at Upgrades and Updates since Yosemite ( and that is a lot of increments) I can see no pattern to the Model, OS version, method of Update or Upgrade. It just seems to be random as to who it happens to.

User uploaded file

8:17 pm Sunday; June 25, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 10.x and an iPad (2)

Jun 24, 2017 1:05 PM in response to ylluminate

Just want to let folks know that Apple really has their wires crossed internally. I have found that they sometimes disable serial numbers for some reason and part of their support team seems to be entirely oblivious to this while another side is sympathetic to the issue, yet no one can seem to resolve the problem without enormous efforts at trying to explain the issue to them. I've verified this independently with multiple Mac Pros in comparison to an affected Mac Pro that has had it's serial somehow flagged by them. Honestly I got tired of trying to work with their support as it's a huge and unproductive process when you deal with very deep issues like this.

So, moral of the story: if you find that your iMessages account works fine on one or two Macs while it won't work on another, it's probably an issue with your serial via some screwup inside of Apple. I would suppose this is more relevant for older Macs (mine are 2009 and 2010 Mac Pros as I have a few of them).

Jul 16, 2015 8:51 AM in response to ylluminate

This could be a complicated problem to solve, as there are many possible causes for it. Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Back up all data before making any changes.

Before proceeding, test on another network, if possible. That could be a public Wi-Fi hotspot, if your computer is portable, or a cellular network if you have a mobile device that can share its Internet connection. If you find that iMessage works on the other network, the problem is in your network or at your ISP, not in your computer.

Step 1

Check the status of the service. If the service is down, wait for it to come back up. There may be a localized outage, even if the status indicator is green.

Step 2

Sign out of iMessage and FaceTime on all your Apple devices. Log out and log back in. Try again to sign in.

Step 3

Restart your router and your broadband device, if they're separate. You may have to skip this step if you don't control those devices.

Step 4

Follow these instructions to display the machine's serial number. If the number is missing or invalid according to this web form, take the machine to an Apple Store or other authorized service center to have the problem corrected.

Step 5

Take the steps suggested in this support article. If you don't understand some of the steps or can't carry them out, ask for guidance.

Step 6

From the menu bar, select

System Preferences... Network

If the preference pane is locked, click the lock icon in the lower left corner and enter your password to unlock it. Then click the Advanced button and select the Proxies tab. If the box marked SOCKS Proxy is checked, uncheck it. You don’t need to change any other settings in the window. Click OK and then Apply. Test.

The result may be that you can't connect to the Internet at all. Revert the change if that happens, or if iMessage still doesn't work. Remember that you must Apply any changes you make in the preference pane before they take effect.

Step 7

Select from the menu bar

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player Storage

and click

Block all sites from storing information on this computer

Close the preference pane.

Step 8

Make sure you know the ID and password you use with iMessage. Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Use the search box in the toolbar of the Keychain Access window to find and delete all items with "iMessage" or "com.apple.idms" in the name. Log out and log back in.

Step 9

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your personal files or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

If iMessage worked in the guest account, stop here and post your results.

Step 10

Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound outputand Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. After testing, restart as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and test again.

If iMessage worked in safe mode, but still doesn't work when you restart in "normal" mode, stop here and post your results.

Step 11

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.apsd.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Step 12

Reset theNVRAM.

Step 13

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC).

Step 14

Reinstall OS X.

Step 15

If none of the above steps resolves the issue, make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or contact Apple Support. When you set up a support call, select "Apple ID" as the product you need help with, not the hardware model. That way, if you're not under AppleCare, you may be able to talk your way out of being charged for the call.

Jul 20, 2015 12:47 PM in response to ylluminate

Hi,

In Yosemite all the Apple ID alternatives that are linked with the Apple ID is use are held in com.apple.ids.service.com.apple.madrid.plist

If you have linked the iPhone, iPad and Text Forwarding then beneath that particular .plist are some with com.apple.ids* in the name and all these can go.

However doing this may not achieve anything.

It is like presuming to change the battery on a car when in fact it has not fuel.

Starting at Linc's Step 5 is probably the best bet.

Checking the Serial Number in step 4 is valid but you are more likely to get a different messages for that.

User uploaded file

8:47 pm Monday; July 20, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

How to completely and totally reset Messages.app settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.