Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iMessage across devices - should deleting a message on one device delete it on all devices?

I send/receive IMs via messages on my iMac, MBP, iPad, and iPhone. Send/receive on any one of my devices, and it's available on all; but IM threads must be deleted from Messages on each device individually. Is there a way for deleting to sync across all my devices too?

Messages-OTHER

Posted on Jul 14, 2015 10:46 PM

3 replies

Jul 16, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Ken0528

Hi,

No.

The iMessages are sort of split and "duplicated" at the server if there are multiple device it is synced to.

The iMessages are the Pushed to the devices uniquely and independently.

Therefore what appears on the iPhone in fact only looks the same as the one of the Mac.

They have no connection with each other after they are "duplicated" fro the sync.

IF you do delete it on your iPhone whilst the Mac is Off line the Mac will get it's "Copy" when it is on line.

If you want the iPhone one back you can't have it (unless you happen to have backed the phone up before the deletion then you can recover it from there)

Once sent the iMessages are deleted for that device at the server.

Once all devices have the iMessages it is not longer on the Apple Server.

User uploaded file

8:47 pm Thursday; July 16, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Jul 18, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Ken0528

Hi,

It can be frustrating whilst you learn but you get used to clearing/deleting threads on the Mac that you have dealt with on the iPhone.

The reverse is also true.

Basically the process is about as far from emails (which everyone understands are Fetched from the server) as you can get.

User uploaded file

10:09 pm Saturday; July 18, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Syncing iMessage across devices - should deleting a message on one device delete it on all devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.