Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 boot camp

We're hearing that Windows 10 is RTM this week. Please get crackin' on the Boot Camp updates for installing Windows 10 because ... you know ... Windows 10 is really, really good. Been using it as an Insider for months now.

iMac hardware + Windows 10 = good times.

Would also appreciate it if Apple would finally release the drivers needed for:

• Plug 'n Play support for Thunderbolt devices
  • Sleep mode in Windows 10
  • Pretty much everything else in Windows that Apple appears to have neglected on purpose

Thank you.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 32GB RAM

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 11:13 AM

38 replies

Jul 15, 2015 11:49 AM in response to butcherbird190

butcherbird190 wrote:

yes, but I'm asking Apple to include new drivers for everything else that has never been supported in Boot Camp. 😉

I am curious if there is any new hardware support needed on a Mac already running W7/W8 when upgrading to W10. If there are virtual device drivers, then it is understandable. 😉

TB Drivers - most likely in a couple of months, but the OS still needs to do a better job of loading drivers. OSX seems to handle TB much better than Windows.

Sleep/Hibernate - This is an OS issue, not a driver issue. W7/W8+ are really terrible at driver loading/unloading.

Plug/Play is on par with OSX.

One example, which I would like the Windows 10 to fix is support for TRRS headsets. W7/W8 do not work at all.

Jul 15, 2015 1:19 PM in response to butcherbird190

I have a similar question, although I have not so much as laid eyes on Win 10.

I have a late-2009 MacBook Pro with Windows 7 in Boot Camp. Windows 8 was available for purchase when I installed Windows, but I my machine did not qualify. Now I read that any computer that runs Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 can get the free upgrade to Windows 10. Something doesn't add up. If my machine couldn't handle Win 8.1, why should I expect it to handle Windows 10?

Microsoft let me know that I could "reserve" a free upgrade to Win 10, and I reflexively clicked "Yes" to the invitation. I further understand that Win 10 will install automatically when Microsoft releases the new OS. My next question, then: Have I set myself up for disaster come July 29 (the release date for Windows 10)? I have this recurring nightmare about the Win 10 upgrade bricking my beloved Mac. I'm looking for any advice. My searches have turned up very little on this topic.

Oh, one more question: Who do you suppose is better prepared to answer the question—Apple or Microsoft?

Thanks!

Jul 15, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Caesar1948

Your are confusing the 'free' W10 with the computing resources it will need. Apple made a conscious decision to disallow W8 on older hardware because in their estimation, W8 resource requirements could not be satisfied by the specific HW on which they were disallowed. there were no plan for drivers for newer OSes on older hardware, etc..

I suggest you try W10 on newer hardware rather than 2009 Macs, which are 6+ years old. Check W10 System Requirements on the M$ website.

Jul 15, 2015 5:33 PM in response to Loner T

Well, I started this discussion here at Apple because I assumed Apple was responsible for all drivers in Boot Camp. Loner left me with the impression that Microsoft has a hand in it and, as a Windows Insider, I am going to post in the Insiders forums. I want better support for the Windows features in my original post. We'll see if MS has anything to do with it based on responses.

I hope you can upgrade to Windows 10 because it is a truly promising OS. I think Windows users are going to be happy once again.

Jul 15, 2015 6:07 PM in response to butcherbird190

The drivers and the OS have to work hand-in-hand. If the OS is unable to load drivers properly when a machine comes out of sleep, the responsibility is the OS's. Sleep/Hibernate implementations leave a lot to be desired. For example, coming out sleep, a new instance of a WiFi adapter is created on W7. This is not a driver issue. SD card driver (written by Apple) does not work properly on Windows but works properly on the same hardware in OSX.

TB is very interesting. On the same hardware, OS X will recognize and allow devices to come out of sleep, but W8.1 will not. Fast Boot causes Boot Camp: Thunderbolt devices not recognized after Windows 8 upgrade - Apple Support .

This is not pointing at the OS or drivers in order to blame either, but the orchestration between the two, to provide a better user experience.

W10 is a good OS. The challenge is to make it work on Apple as well as it does on ASUS and Dell hardware.

Jul 16, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Loner T

I didn't realize until tonight that all of the official ISOs were taken down a few days ago. I also read that new activations are being blocked until the upgrade rolls out. I'm going to just be patient & wait for my Win 8.1 install in Boot Camp to upgrade.

Thank you for the input, thus far. I'll be sure to ask the MS side for better support on Macs. 🙂

Windows 10 boot camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.