Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the individual email window to open in a full screen and then minimize the window without closing it?

When I click on an existing email in my inbox or another folder, the email opens in a mid-sized window, not in a full-sized window. When I compose a new email, it also opens in this same mid-sized window. There is no toolbar on the top, and I cannot get it to expand with Control-Command-F.

For an existing email, once opened, there are only five "action item" options once I've opened an existing email: close or trash, along with reply, forward and forward all.

For a new email, once opened, there are only two "action items" - send or cancel.

My goal is to be able to open an existing email, and minimize (not close) the email, and open other emails or documents. Instead, I must act on one of the 5 action items permitted and cannot "minimize" the open email.

I also want to be able to create a new email, and minimize (not close) the email. Sometimes I need to copy and paste text from multiple sources, and as I'm composing an email, and need to go to the source document or other email to copy text, and I can no longer do this, as I must actual "act on" one of the 2 action items permitted for a new email.

How do I get the mail function to work like it did until recently - where I could minimize an existing email, or a new email I'm composing, without having to take action? In other words, I would like to be able to have the icons across the bottom of my screen show not only the 4 or 5 documents I'm working in, but also the several emails I have open (but have minimized), and the one or two emails I'm in the process of composing (and have minimized).

I cannot find anything in the preferences to let me do this. It is as if Apple has decided that I should only need access to one email at a time!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 10:49 AM

You don't have the red, yellow, and green buttons at the top left of the windows? If you do, the green button should take you to full screen. To return to the smaller size, click the green button while holding down the option/alt key.

12 replies

Jul 15, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Eric Root

HI - that is the problem - there are no longer any of the normal buttons on the email. there is no toolbar. There are only a couple of choices that I outlined - 2 for a new email I'm composing, and 5 for an existing email I've opened. None of the normal ways to adjust a window size are available - red, green or yellow dots, nor using the control-command-F method.

THx

Jul 16, 2015 8:29 AM in response to Eric Root

My mail window has a toolbar but the actual mid-sized window that opens for the new message I'm composing, or for the existing message I've opened, do not have tool bars. There are literally only 2 actions I can take when composing - send or trash. 5 actions I can take when viewing existing message - close, trash, forward, reply or reply all.

There are no red, yellow, green buttons, no toolbar, only those choices. It is very odd. I cannot find any preference that would allow me to have a tool bar on the message I have open (new or existing), and I had a toolbar and the normal red/yellow/green buttons on my mail system since I started on Mac years ago.

thx!

Jul 16, 2015 9:03 AM in response to CEB90265

Your screenshot shows a window with a "done" button but no green yellow or red; I am sorry but I have looked around all the preferences in Mail and I could not find a way to reproduce that.

Sorry, I see it now. You have set your Message Viewer window to full screen. Opening a message from there works as your screenshot. There does not seem to be any way to move your resize these individual message windows.

Jul 16, 2015 10:03 AM in response to CEB90265

I am afraid that is how the application currently works when in full screen mode. I was not aware of that because I never had used Mail in full screen.

I can only suggest that instead of using full screen, you maximize the message viewer window but option-clicking the green button - that way you get the closest to full screen but retain full window capabilities for your individual messages.

Jul 16, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Where is the option to click the green button? There is no green button on my mail window? I am not clear what you are referring to as the message viewer window - I thought that was what I had taken a picture of and sent.

So I have my Mail application open, and it is in full screen. Then, when I click on an individual email to be able to read it, or when I click to compose a new email, I get the mid-sized window.

I would love to get a full-sized window popping open when I compose a new email. What is the way I set that up? I've been unable to find any preferences to change?

thx

Jul 16, 2015 10:24 AM in response to CEB90265

"Message Viewer" is the window in the back in your screenshot, the one that lists your mailboxes on the left and your messages on the right. This window is in full screen mode. If you have this window active (by clicking done on the frontmost window and closing it), then click Command-Control-F (or move the cursor all the way up to the top of your screen, then click the blue button that appears), you will leave full screen mode, and the message viewer will be "normal" window. Then if you option-click the green button it will toggle between the large size and whatever size it was in.

How do I get the individual email window to open in a full screen and then minimize the window without closing it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.