Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV keeps cutting out. WHY?

My 3rd generation Apple TV keeps cutting out when watching any of the content native to the device. E.g., Netflix, ESPN, History Channel, all cut out after playing for a minute or two, the screen goes black, and then the picture restarts. This process repeats itself for the duration of the program I'm watching. This only started a couple weeks ago but makes it very difficult to watch anything. I have restarted the device, rebooted the device,checked all associated cables and checked wifi. Everything is in excellent working condition. Are there any ideas out there as to what is going on?

Apple TV

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 2:31 PM

15 replies

Feb 4, 2017 10:49 PM in response to vazandrew

I have had this issue as well. I have updated my router, connected the device to two other networks at friends houses, updated the device, reset it, Speed tested the network and did the speed test on the device. Absolutely no luck. The weird part is I can airplay without issues but using a. App like Netflix or Hulu or something else is just about impossible. It cuts out after a few short minutes. Sometimes I can trick it by fast forwarding over the spot it keeps cutting out on but other times it just continues to do it. This started initially a year and a half ago with just loosing sound now it constantly cuts out and goes back to the main screen.

Feb 6, 2017 12:43 AM in response to lydjn06

I'm having this issue too. We have 2 AppleTv units at home. The older generation AppleTV has no issues at all with Netflix, our AppleTV4 which we got last October woked flawlessly until December when it started cutting out to the main screen after a few minutes sometimes seconds. Youtube works perfectly though, other apps work perfectly fine too. Is this a Netflix or Apple problem. I also have updated, reset, forget network and connected again (which worked for about 30 mins) but no permanent solution.

Sep 8, 2015 5:30 PM in response to loudeluca

It happens to me too. I really notice it happening when I'm connected wirelessly to the router. I have a really powerful Cisco router. I would agree I think it's the update, I have not had any issues until that last update. I've checked all my configurations and every other wireless device is not having any issues. That includes three other Apple products. It is something specific to the wireless connectivity on the Apple TV. I hope Apple fixes this soon because I love the Apple TV. It may be their way of forcing us to upgrade once the new one comes out.

Sep 8, 2015 5:40 PM in response to KROD1959

KROD1959 wrote:

I really notice it happening when I'm connected wirelessly to the router.

Which shows that it's an issue with the wifi network

KROD1959 wrote:

I've checked all my configurations and every other wireless device is not having any issues. That includes three other Apple products.

What exactly have you done to troubleshoot? Other devices working does not rule out a network issue.

KROD1959 wrote:

. I would agree I think it's the update, I have not had any issues until that last update.

Issues can come at any time, there is no such widespread issue and is working fine for most.

KROD1959 wrote:

I hope Apple fixes this soon because I love the Apple TV. It may be their way of forcing us to upgrade once the new one comes out.

Nothing for them to fix, as its related to the individual network. No one is forcing you to upgrade, and until there's been an announcement of a new product everything is speculation.

Sep 12, 2015 6:40 PM in response to vazandrew

My Gen2 AppleTV is also dropping it's stream. It has happended with Netflix, Vimeo and HBO. I have it wired directly to my router so wireless is not an issue. Checked the bandwidth and I'm getting 50Mbps. I restored it this afternoon since that is the recommended solution by Apple. It has the latest update.

Just dropped the stream again. 😢 I'm bummed as I had it for years with no problem.

Sep 13, 2015 6:07 PM in response to vazandrew

Yes. I've had it for about 3 years. I "rent" my router from Comcast. The router is up to date. Xfinity updates it automatically. This is a router that they continue to use in installations so I assume it's "modern".

The problem is intermittent. It really isn't practical to set it on another network for the time it would take for a failure. Testing it on another network also won't tell me anything about potential problems with my network - As I said my network tests consistently at over 50Mbps. While it makes sense to try things on a "known good" situation, I have no reason to think my network is not good. I have many, many devices that are running with no problem on this network and I use it for my business with no problem. I could set up a constant ping to see if I get variations in latency I guess.

I'm curious about why you find no reason to suspect the device itself; the AppleTV. Given net neutrality wrangling, I would suspect some throttling of Netflix by Comcast before I would suspect my network. Alas there is no way to test that that I know of.

Apple TV keeps cutting out. WHY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.