Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spell Check Stopped Working in Pages

Spell Check for Pages has stopped working

would anyone know what is causing this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Jul 15, 2015 4:41 PM

7 replies

Jul 16, 2015 7:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

More accurately, though automatic spelling check will be disabled (red dotted underline) without Edit ▸ Spelling and Grammer ▸ Check Spelling While Typing selected, one can force a spelling check with either Check Document Now ( command-; ), or Show Spelling and Grammar ( command-: ).

The Check Document Now command will highlight the first misspelled word. You can right-click on this selected word, and the pop-up contextual menu will offer alternative spellings, ignore spelling, and learn spelling options. Alternatively, if you have Edit ▸ Substitutions ▸ Text Replacement enabled, you can simply click immediately behind the highlighted misspelling, and a horizontal list of spelling alternatives will pop up. Click on the one that you want, or the x to cancel without replacement.

Jul 29, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you for the suggestion.

I clicked Edit. Using my PhD in English Literature,

I went to "Spelling and Grammar" as a logical solution.

From there my PhD indicated "Show Spelling and Grammar"

might bear fruit activating the Spell Checker.

An empty box popped up labeled "Spelling and Grammar"

There were 2 options Change and Find Next

Well, I've exhausted my academic skills and would like

to reach out again to the community and ask how

to activate the Spell Check. Many thanks.

Spell Check Stopped Working in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.