Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about the folder and file links for songs with iTunes

Hello there,

I am very curious about a particular thing with iTunes. I know iTunes has its own library folder where it keeps downloaded music and data and such. And I know that when I play a song from a separate folder(from the Desktop or something), iTunes it will play it. What I am not sure about is if iTunes makes a copy of that song and puts it in its own Library folder and always links to that or if since I play the song from a separate folder, it will always link to that folder.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I don't want to play/copy a song or album from one folder and have it play and show up in iTunes and then delete that song/folder or move it and have iTunes not be linked to that anymore and then that song be broken in iTunes GUI.

-does that make sense?

I just re-installed my OS(Yosemite) and so I'm starting fresh again and want to minimize the file and folder redundancies this time around.

So I want to make sure that it would be OK if I delete or move songs/folders that aren't originally in the iTunes music library folder that iTunes would have it's own version or something.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 8:07 AM

If you are using default preferences settings for iTunes which include "copy files to media folder', playing a file with iTunes will place a copy in the media folder and leave the original where you have it. After that if you play the track from iTunes it is using the copy in the Media folder. You can usually delete the copy outside the location designated in iTunes for the media folder. If in doubt right click on a track in iTunes > Show in Finder to see which file iTunes uses to play that track.

Of interest:

iTunes 9: Understanding the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832 - Files put into this folder are actually moved from this folder onto the correct location in the iTunes Media folder.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Yayap77

If you are using default preferences settings for iTunes which include "copy files to media folder', playing a file with iTunes will place a copy in the media folder and leave the original where you have it. After that if you play the track from iTunes it is using the copy in the Media folder. You can usually delete the copy outside the location designated in iTunes for the media folder. If in doubt right click on a track in iTunes > Show in Finder to see which file iTunes uses to play that track.

Of interest:

iTunes 9: Understanding the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832 - Files put into this folder are actually moved from this folder onto the correct location in the iTunes Media folder.

Jul 16, 2015 4:46 PM in response to Limnos

Yeah that makes sense. Had a feeling it worked that way.

As much as I want to reduce music file redundancy and such, I don't think I want to dig around the iTunes Library folder every time I want to play something with VLC or whatnot. So what I think I will do is have a well organized Music folder outside of iTunes and not keep anything in the downloads or desktop.

Is double-clicking to play the song the same function as dragging the song(s) or folder into a playlist or album list in iTunes?

I usually end up creating a playlist by dragging songs outside of iTunes into it to make sure they have all the right info that will make that album.

Jul 16, 2015 6:44 PM in response to Yayap77

If a file has an iTunes icon on it then double clicking the file will add it to iTunes (if outside the Media folder) each time you play it. I changed my system so all media files open with Quicktime Player (get info on a file, select application to play, then check do this with all of this kind [referenced to my older OS version]), not iTunes. When I want them in iTunes I make sure I add them by dragging them to the iTunes window. I use an older computer so I often download files temporarily to view or listen to them outside the browser and do not want them added to iTunes.

Question about the folder and file links for songs with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.