Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony ax33 and iMovie

Hi All,

on Sony's page for the FDR-AX33 I see the iMovie logo. However I have not seen anyone successfully note an import into iMovie yet with this camcorder.

the device has a lot of features I like and I'm not buying an older camcorder like the canon vixia hf g20. But I don't know if there are particular settings I should use or such. I just don't want to buy a product I'm going to have large issues with until supported.

anyone who has had success please share and advise. I would really appreciate your answers so I know what I can go out and buy and start my recording soon

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 8:30 AM

6 replies

Jul 16, 2015 10:36 AM in response to GeeD

Thanks for the reply... I just seen so many people out there that have a tool similar that it made me suspicious.

i just didn't know if there was a set of settings you could make whcih make it compatible or if the camcorder just is not recognized. Further more if there was any way for me to bring it into thier play memories app and the export it in a format to use would even be a great start... . Since there are such great tools on the Mac I would like to do it there.

if not I could do PC or even applications like adobe or such. the camcorders expensive enough so I would like to be frugal right now on paying more for apps to convert. Later I can get larger programs that cost a bit more. Bi just want to start capturing memories and have an up to date camcorder over something that is older by 2 years even though it's still being sold acrively.

i Did see where the sony movie studio higher end apps do note the support and is native to sony and lower cost so that may be another route if not natively capable on the Mac side

Jul 16, 2015 10:57 AM in response to GeeD

OK I will check them out.. I only expect to do 1080 at first but since a 4k camera with a few other options I want is so close I figured I would ask and of course can play with these tools.. Just with so many articles and apps I sometimes don't know the best answer or what's a valid and safe program.. Sometimes freeware can also contain malware or other items of unexpected findings. I prefer reputable items from trustworthy sources over xyz program makers

if anyone has any useful resources or direct use on this process let me know as it would be more comforting

Jul 17, 2015 3:06 AM in response to iNexxFear

So without much of an answer on this I have taken the plunge and figured I would try being I'm at IT based guy and again if not have PC options to fall back on.

If I set the camcorder to XAVC S format (1080) and at 30 fps it takes the videos in just fine. Know I'm taking a lamborgini and driving it only around town and not letting the engine out. But without full compatibility I'm aleast able to get 2015 technology with newer items and offer the functionality I originally wanted. A Canon Vixia HF G20 only records about these same settings but does not offer me the nightshot or BOSS system for more fluent image stabilization.

For now I'm happy and when I'm ready to spend more $$ I can change to the 4K setting and record there edit and such. For now I don't have a 4K TV or such bug again I'm getting the same stuff as the other upper end models with a small room to grow.... Its a moving market but that's what I think for now.

Again my prelimary testing is only with 30 to 60 second quick clips around the home... More to be tested later to see more processes and potential issues but a hopeful start. Again any other true feedback to the process or other users insights who have used the AX33 with products like iMovie or FCP X are still welcomed to know things you have identified, learned as well, or presently know.

Hope this is helpful to others potentially looking at this instead of needing to use converters (which may be needed if recording truly at 4k) but since youtube and some others don't have the full support yet I'm able to record at their level with great clarity and stability.

Nov 29, 2015 6:49 PM in response to iNexxFear

I just bought this camera too and Need help getting the video files into iMovie. If you set the camera to record in 1080 and its working, H to you transfer the file into iMovie? I tried using the SD card and it just goes in to the annoying photos app. Getting out of photos is not easy. iMovie wont recognize the files. I had to copy them to the desk top and them the mac converts them to HUGE files and it takes forever!

Ps i noticed there was a mac update today that i'm hoping will will helpUser uploaded file

Sony ax33 and iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.