Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blue welcome screen hangs

OK running Windows 7 on Bootcamped powerbook Retna 17"- latest MAC Software updates installed. This always hangs on the blue welcome screen. Only choice is to restart. Found a forum post and tried to fix using the following;

" I have actually found a solution. I'm not quite sure how it all worked out (it was pure luck!), but I am happily posting from a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my new 2010 MacBook Pro 13' via Bootcamp.

For other people who may have run into this problem, here is the steps I took to fix it:

1. Start/restart Windows.

2. Press & hold the 'F8' key until an advanced boot menu comes up.

3. Select 'Repair Your Computer'.

4. Select 'Command Prompt'.

5. Log in as an Administrator.

6. Type in "chkdsk c: /f" (without the quotes), and press [ENTER].

7. Exit out of the command prompt.

8. Click on 'Restart'.

9. Press & hold the 'F8' key until an advanced boot menu comes up.

10. Select 'Enable Boot Logging'.

11. Enjoy Windows 7! User uploaded file

It appeared that the nasty driver causing the problem was the 'LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller'. (This appears to be the FireWire port causing all this trouble!)

Before, when the system was installed with a password, it would hang forever at the 'Welcome' screen on the second boot.

Before, when the system was installed without a password, it would freeze trying to install the aforementioned driver on the second boot, then on subsequent boots, it would hang forever at the 'Welcome' screen.

After doing the above process, my system booted normally and installed the ''LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller' without any freezes or complaints.

I can't count how many times I reinstalled Windows, burned new installation discs, started new threads, tried different methods, etc. just to find this. Trial & error (eventually) won!

I hope this helps someone if they are having issues with their new Mac. Please post back if it worked for you!"

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/113584-windows-freezes-welcome-scr een.html

I have tried this multiple times and still haven't resolved the issue. I go to architecture school with quite a few classmates experiencing the same problem. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 9:09 AM

11 replies

Jul 16, 2015 9:58 AM in response to NickBurn

1. Can you please be more specific about your exact Mac year/model? Please do not post the serial number of your Mac.

2. Disconnect all external peripherals and test.

3. If there is a specific driver issue, can you boot in Windows Safe Mode?

4. On the OSX side, please try the following two procedures.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

5. Is it the login screen you hang up on or is it a BSOD? Do your Keyboard/Mouse work?

6. Are you using any third-partty NTFS drivers?

Jul 17, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Loner T

I think I can boot in windows safe mode- though I'm not super sure I am doing that correctly as I am not a windows regular user. I just boot while hold F8 and start up normally or 'enable boot logging.'

I have no peripherals attached to the machine while this welcome screen hangs.

My keyboard and mouse work fine.

I don't quite understand these questions- what is BSOD? It's the screen after I enter my password (not the log in) but before one gets the desktop where it says 'welcome' and then the icon just spins and spins.

Is it the login screen you hang up on or is it a BSOD? Do your Keyboard/Mouse work?

6. Are you using any third-partty NTFS drivers?

I don't know what third party NTFS drivers are. I use the windows side only for Architecture work using the following apps- AutoCAD, Rhino, Dropbox, Rhino plug in for rendering in 3D and REvit. I'm going to try the reset of the SMC and NVRAM as you suggested.

Thanks

Aug 21, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Loner T

I will but it's not the "Blue Screen of Death" it's just the welcome screen with the spinning rainbow wheel. I usually take screenshots on windows side using the 'snipping tool' but I don't think I will have access to the tool while I'm waiting for Windows to start. Any suggestions about a way to take a screenshot on windows side in this situation?

blue welcome screen hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.