Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting a column in numbers with images

Hello all,

I am trying to make a spreadsheet and all was going fine until I added a column with images in each cell. Prior to adding that column, I could sort all the other columns any way and all the data in the cells would sort correctly. For example column A is a Scientific name, B& C are Common Name, D is Date Seen, E is Location seen etc. Prior to adding images in column H, when I sorted by any of those other fields it worked fine.

After adding images, when I sort by any other heading everything else sorts correctly, but the images stay static and don't sort as the rest of the rows do. Screenshot A shows the fields sorted by Date Posted and the flowers in the correct position as I entered them. In screenshot B I changed the sort to arrange it by Scientific Name. Everything moved but the images.

I am using Numbers 3.5.3 on Mac OS 10.10.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paula

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iWork-Numbers

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2015 2:03 AM

Hi Paula,

How are you adding images?

After you add images, click on a cell containing an image. Format Panel > Cell > Fill. Does it show Image Fill?

User uploaded file

I tried a few ways to add images:

User uploaded file

Now sorted Descending by Column A

User uploaded file

I can't reproduce the problem.

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies

Jul 14, 2016 10:10 PM in response to alainr

Hi Alain,

On a Numbers Table, click on the cell you want to provide with an Image fill.

Click the Format brush near the upper right corner of the screen.

In the bar across the panel, near the top, click Cell.

The top of the Cell format Inspector panel should now look like image in Yellowbox's "recommended" post above.

See the instructions in column C of the table in Yellowbox's post for instructions on three ways to place an image into a cell as "Image Fill."

"i have been adding image files by go to Insert and then choose."

Insert > Choose inserts the image file into the document, but not into a cell. See Yellowbox's instructions beside the Lizard image for instructions on what to do after you've done Insert > Choose.

Regards,

Barry

Sorting a column in numbers with images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.