Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just got this on my desktop : Please run InstallMac compatibility test and updates for the upcoming Mac OSX. I have to agree to set my search to Leperdvil.

I just got this on my desktop : Please run InstallMac compatibility test and updates for the upcoming Mac OSX. I have to agree to set my search to Leperdvil. This is the first time I get this before an update or upgrade. Is this o.k. or a hacker ?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 12:41 PM

It's a scam, ignore it.

19 replies

Jul 18, 2015 5:08 AM in response to zarzarrosa

Leperdvil and InstallMac are alternate names for the Genieo adware.

I'm unclear on whether you have it installed or are seeing a reference to it within an installer you were running. If the former, you can check your system with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac (which used to be AdwareMedic, the product Carolyn recommended). It will remove the Leperdvil variant of Genieo.

If the latter, quit the installer immediately! If it won't quit, press command-option-esc and then force quit the installer. You still may potentially have some components of adware installed, so it would still be wise to check for any adware.

(Fair disclosure: I am affiliated with Malwarebytes, whose site or product I am recommending above.)

Aug 9, 2015 6:53 AM in response to thomas_r.

Hi There,

I think I have a similar issue. My idiot son has tried downloading something (seems to think some kind of viewer which i have stuckl to the TRASH and emptied now) which has now resulted in my safari home page as leperdevil etc etc. From what you have said above this sounds bad !!! I did try the Maiware bytes as mentioned but the problem still persists. Any tips or help ???

Regards from a worried MAC user

PS Son available ???

Aug 9, 2015 7:50 AM in response to kelvin2015

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. You can link to this one.

Manual method:

Malware – Adware removal – Apple Support

Or download this program which was written by Thomas Reed, a long time poster. The program will do the work for you which makes it easy. If you are uncertain about downloading programs, try the manual method.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 10.7 and later

I just got this on my desktop : Please run InstallMac compatibility test and updates for the upcoming Mac OSX. I have to agree to set my search to Leperdvil.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.