Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K monitors for Mac Pro

Hi,

I'm interested in building a killer edit system with the 2013 Mac Pro cylinder. I'm looking for 4K monitors that work well with the Mac Pro that's at least 28 inches and under $1,500. Any recommendations?

It'd also be great to know from anyone who uses a 4K monitor with a Mac Pro cylinder, what are your experiences?

I look forward to your comments.

Best,

Larry

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 2:03 PM

4 replies

Jul 17, 2015 2:32 AM in response to lemerrill

The main issue to be aware of is that all current Macs only have HDMI 1.4a ports, as a result they (via HDMI) can only do 4K at a maximum of 30fps. If you want the best results i.e. up to 60fps at 4K then you need to use a Displayport connection.

At this point in time there is only one or maybe two 4K TVs in the entire world with Displayport connectors e.g. the Panasonic https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/viera-televisions/led/tx-l65wt600b.html

So, most people therefore end up getting a Displayport 4K screen. The following is Apple's official support document on the subject of 4K displays although it is not up-to-date.

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

The above article does not list other models like the Dell P2415Q, the Dell P2715Q, and the Dell P2815Q. I am a bit confused about the P2815Q vs the P2715Q however one of these would look a close match to your requirements. (I think the P2815Q is an inferior TN style panel and the P2715Q is the better IPS style panel.)

Jul 17, 2015 9:04 AM in response to lemerrill

I built my 4K editing system around a fully maxed out Late 2013 Mac Pro in early 2014. After a lot of research, I purchased the ASUS PQ321Q 31.5 in. monitor from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PQ321Q-31-5-Inch-4K-Monitor/dp/B00DJ4BIKA/ref=sr_1_3? ie=UTF8&qid=1437148549&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+4k+monitor). This has proven to be the best monitor that I have ever owned and has never given the slightest problem with my Late 2013 Mac Pro. The things I like most about the monitor is that using a mini display port to Display 1.2 port cable, I am able to get 60 Hz refresh rate, beautiful colors. a highly desirable matte screen, and incredible resolution. I have used this monitor for many many 4K video projects using Final Cut Pro X and my Late 2013 Mac Pro. I consider The ASUS monitor the perfect monitor to pair with the Late 2013 Mac Pro and the current Amazon price is very attractive for a 4K monitor of this screen size.

Tom

Sep 3, 2015 9:26 AM in response to TomWheel

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your help earlier and last month we actually did purchase the ASUS PQ321Q monitor! However, using the mini display port to Display 1.2 port cable we only have a 30 Hz refresh rate. How does your connection work and ours doesn't? What kind of graphic card do you have in your MacPro? We have FirePro D700.

Best,

Larry

4K monitors for Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.