Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local?

I do backups by using the Finder to copy my home directory to a memory stick.

This has been working for 3 years.

Today, the copy operation stopped in the middle, with the error message that "Local" had contents that could not be read or written.

This is a package, but I don't have a clue as to what it does.

I'd like to simply delete it, and then, I hope, be able to do the backup.

However, if I delete it, will there be some kind of apocalyptic result?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 8 GB ram.

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 2:37 PM

4 replies

Jul 16, 2015 2:59 PM in response to VictorBK

Related to SyncServices which is used to sync via iTunes to your various devices. I doubt it's a particular application, rather to do with whatever you are copying to the flash drive. I would not use the Finder to do backups to the flash drive of your Home folder. If you need to backup your data, then do that separately because a straight copy includes the /Home/Library/ folder. You don't need to back it up, but if you do I would suggest using a backup utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner 4.1.3.

Jul 17, 2015 7:09 AM in response to VictorBK

Well, there is more to this story. I removed the LOCAL file, which gave a "can not read or write this file" kind of error.

I continued with my copy to memory stick, and 3 or 4 other files had the same problem. After getting rid of them, I was able to complete my copy.

This morning, I ran the Apple Hardware Test. Error code: 4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1215. The extended test yielded a similar error code, with the ending -1237.

So it seems to be a hardware problem, and I plan to visit my local Apple store on Monday.

Thanks to all for your information. 🙂

Can I delete ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.