Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp issues

I have a new mac book pro retina display with the highest storage capacity. I purchased Windows 8.1 pro for students directly from Microsoft earlier today. I then followed all the directions from the apple support page. But once I got to boot camp assistance on the page where you have to chose a file I followed the directions but then this message appears: "Boot Camp only supports Windows 8 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 8 or later installation." I talked to both the Apple and Microsoft people and they have no idea how to fix the problem. I don't know what to do and I need this program for school. Please Help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 3:09 PM

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Supported versions of Windows
These are the supported versions of Windows(authentic, single, full-installation). Check the tables below to see which of these versions will work with your Mac.

• Windows XP: Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, Service Pack 1 or later (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5.1)
  • Windows 8: Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro (Boot Camp 5.1 only)

If you have a mixed 32-bit and 64-bit Installer media/ISO, you should try and download an ISO of the 64-bit only Installer using your Product key from the Microsoft store.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Jorkane2121

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Supported versions of Windows
These are the supported versions of Windows(authentic, single, full-installation). Check the tables below to see which of these versions will work with your Mac.

• Windows XP: Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows Vista: Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate, Service Pack 1 or later (Boot Camp 3)
  • Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate (Boot Camp 4 or 5.1)
  • Windows 8: Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro (Boot Camp 5.1 only)

If you have a mixed 32-bit and 64-bit Installer media/ISO, you should try and download an ISO of the 64-bit only Installer using your Product key from the Microsoft store.

Jul 27, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Jorkane2121

I hit the same issue. I created the Windows .iso file from a 64-bit Windows 8.1 full install DVD following the instructions here. (Microsoft do not provide any downloadable .iso file.)

Was it suspiciously quick to create the disk image? Disk Utility presents each accessible drive as a generic disk e.g. "Remote disk" and the partition within it, e.g. "IR5_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-GB_DV9" (the actual name will vary). The first time I tried, I clicked on the "Remote disk" symbol itself as the screenshot in the support article implied, and it created a 100MB local image instantly, which Boot Camp Assistant rejected. I tried again but selected "IR5_CCSA_X64FRE_EN-GB_DV9" and it took 20 minutes to create a 4.3GB file, which BCA accepted.

Boot Camp issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.