Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch locked wont unlock

I have the device set up that my phones controls the lock function. My phone is unlocked, the devices is paired, but the watch always says " devices locked, unlock your iphone to start using Apple Watch" with a little blue lock at top of screen. My phone isn't locked, the watch is snug on my wrist, I have paired, unpaired, wiped started over, powered both off.. nothing.. basically cant use the watch. Any ideas?

Apple Watch Sport 38mm, iPhone 6

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2017 2:18 AM

Follow these steps to erase your locked watch and re-pair it with your iPhone:

• Connect your watch to its charging cable, with power connected.
  • Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider.
  • Press firmly on the display (do not try to slide the Power Off slider - just press down more firmly than a normal tap) and then tap on Erase all content and settings.
  • Re-pair your watch using the Watch app on your iPhone, choosing to Restore from Backup if offered the option.

More information:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you forgot the passcode for your Apple Watch - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2017 2:18 AM in response to donswee

Follow these steps to erase your locked watch and re-pair it with your iPhone:

• Connect your watch to its charging cable, with power connected.
  • Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider.
  • Press firmly on the display (do not try to slide the Power Off slider - just press down more firmly than a normal tap) and then tap on Erase all content and settings.
  • Re-pair your watch using the Watch app on your iPhone, choosing to Restore from Backup if offered the option.

More information:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you forgot the passcode for your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Feb 20, 2017 4:15 PM in response to Gkjohnson

I have the series 1 watch too. It worked well for a year and now about once every two weeks it locks and will not unlock. I have restored the watch to factory defaults and used the backup. I also restored it to factory and started from scratch. It works for about two weeks. Seems to have started after the last watch IOS update. My son works for Apple and he is at a loss. Can they help in the store?

Mar 5, 2017 8:38 PM in response to Jonathan UK

It has happened to me this week. Amazing. There is no way to unlock the watch now. I have reset the watch, painfully reset the phone, turned of both devices and start up phone followed by watch, nothing worked.

Then suddenly for a brief moment the watch unlocked. For about 10 minutes the watch was behaving, then suddenly it doesn't unlock again. Bloody frustrating.

For gurus out there offering a solution, please do help if you really know what you are talking about. There is no way to interact with a locked watch other than "force touch power off button", and that doesn't work.

Maybe it's really time to shop for a Samsung and pray it doesn't catch fire on my wrist.

Mar 6, 2017 7:23 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I have tried this 4 times. Reset the whole watch, start as new watch, start with backup. It doesn't help.

Issue is: the phone and Watch are connected. It shows up on battery. When the watch leaves the phone, the "no connection" blue icon doesn't light up. When you change Watch face using iphone watch setup app, it can be done. Hence it's a matter of one critical connection line of code that was left out.

Resetting 10 times will not help in this particular case.

Nov 2, 2016 7:03 PM in response to Rhrouse

Rhrouse wrote:

When I try to go to the passcode setting I get a message that says "your Apple Watch is currently locked. Please unlock to continue".

On my watch I get the message "device locked unlock iPhone to start using Apple Watch". My phone is NOT locked. I'm creating the help request on it! This is so frustrating!

Hi

It may help to restart both your iPhone and your watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Nov 3, 2016 10:17 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your response. Unfortunately I've tired that a number of times, including in every possible combination of order, shut down watch and phone at same time, restart at same time, one first the other first. Nothing fixes it. And when it does finally start working it's really automagical as it doesn't seem to be related to anything I do last night for instance, when I posted this. I tried every combination of restarting the two devices to no avail. Then about 4 hours later, for no good reason, the watch unlocked.

Nov 3, 2016 10:23 AM in response to Rhrouse

It may help to unpair and re-pair your watch:

Dec 27, 2016 3:05 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I am having the same issue with my Series 1 watch. It has worked fine for over a year, but now it will not unlock with the message "unlock your phone to start using your watch" I have done on/off and hard resets on both in various order. I unpaired the watch on my phone and now it will not pair up again since I can't get the watch out of the locked mode.

apple watch locked wont unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.