Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhoto says it takes up 45GB... does it store caches?

I've been getting the storage full message on my Macbook Pro for a while now so I finally thought I should clear some space. I discovered that my iPhoto took up 45 GB on my laptop but I always move my photos onto my hard drive just to be safe, so I only have 300 photos on iPhoto...

Does my mac store back up photos somewhere? Or caches? I've googled so many different things but nothing helps! & it ***** that its taking up that much room on my hard drive!!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 2:47 PM

1 reply

Jul 16, 2015 3:02 PM in response to daniidavis

I discovered that my iPhoto took up 45 GB on my laptop but I always move my photos onto my hard drive just to be safe, so I only have 300 photos on iPhoto...

Have you emptied the Trash in Photos? Do you have Photo Stream enabled?

Ctrl-click your iPhoto Library, use the command "Show package contents" from the pop-up menu, and check the size of the folders inside the library.

The largest folders should be "Masters" and "Previews" for an iPhoto 9.6.1 library, perhaps is there also an iPod Photo Cache. (See: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder)

What is needing the most space on your iPhoto Library?

My iPhoto says it takes up 45GB... does it store caches?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.