Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display not waking up

I've been using my mid 2012 MBP for a couple of years now.

Everything is up to date.

Running Yosemite 10.10.4

90% of the time I use it with the lid dow and connected to wireless mouse & KB and a Thunderbolt Display reporting this information:

Thunderbolt Bus:

Firmware Version: 25.1

User uploaded file

My problem is that some months ago, maybe 6 or 7, the Display started not waking up after my computer goes to sleep.

It does not do this every time. There is a combination of factors (that I have not been able to figure out) that causes the problem, say 2 or 3 out of 10 times in a day.

For the Display to wake up I have to disconnect it from the thunderbolt port and reconnect it back. Only then it comes back to life.

Lifting up the lid of the MBP does not do the trick either.

Has anyone encounter this same issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 3:19 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2015 2:36 PM in response to MacGolferMx

I have a 2015 brand new 27" thunderbolt display connected to a 2015 Mac Pro. First problem was when I came back to the system from overnight the display was black and wouldn't wake. The computer was on(glowing power light) I forced shutdown and everything seemed fine then the display just on its own went dark after only 5 min. The only way to get it back was to pull the power cord on the display. It eventually goes black after a brief time. I reset SMC and that did not help. I have two other machines in the office that did the same thing, but seem to be working ok now for no rhyme or reason.

Oct 14, 2015 6:31 PM in response to Homer40

Wow!!

I am surprised to see that what solved my problem (upgrading to El Capitan), caused you to run into the same problem I had when running on Yosemite.

Some additional information to share is that when I was dealing with this issue, the lowest point was that my MBP reset several times when connected to de Thunderbolt display. I never did that when used without it.

Now it's been what? three weeks now, and running without issues waking up my display.

Hope you can find a solution.

Cheers!

Nov 12, 2015 5:11 AM in response to MacGolferMx

I got the same problem after updating the ATD firmware to 1.2. Every time I would wake my MBP, the connecting with ATD was gone (including USB power on the ATD).

The solutions which fixed the problem for me:

Re: Thunderbolt disconnects when MacBook sleeps

and

Re: Thunderbolt disconnects when MacBook sleeps

-----------------------------

OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 - MBP mid 2012 - ATD firmware 1.2

Thunderbolt Display not waking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.