Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EFI Firmware Update 1.8 kill my Mac mini late 2012

I got bad experience today.

I applied "EFI Firmware Update 1.8" through Update check in App Store.

After install it, booting process every time stopped with “No Parking Icon’.

I tried several times to restore whole system by Time-Machine from backup HDD.

But I could not fix it.

I need your advice.

Yosemite 10.10.4

I5 CPU

10Gb Memory

Thank you,

Shinn

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 3:44 PM

9 replies

Jul 16, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Shinntaka

Prohibitory symbol

User uploaded file

When you see a circle with a slash symbol instead of the Apple logo, it means your Mac couldn't find a valid System Folder to start up from.

If you're using your Mac at a school or business, it might be trying to start from the wrong version of OS X. Contact your IT department for more help.

If this is your personal Mac, try reinstalling OS X by using OS X Recovery.

From

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

It is not likely not associated with the firmware update.

Jul 17, 2015 12:04 AM in response to Shinntaka

I got the same bad experience to.

I applied "EFI Firmware Update 1.8" through Update check in App Store yesterday and after install, the mac mini will not boot anymore. When i press the Power Button, i've got only a flashing LED (every 2sec.) and nothing more happen.

I tried several times an SMC reset (Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support) but nothing happen.

I need your advice to.

Mac mini Late 2012

Yosemite 10.10.4

I7 CPU

16 GB RAM

Thank you,

Jul 17, 2015 12:23 AM in response to Shinntaka

Do you have another Mac and 8GB Flash Drive? If so, download OS X Yosemite, format the flash disk, open terminal, copy and paste the following command to the Terminal and hit enter.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

You'll be prompted to enter the password and click ok.

Once it's done, eject the flash drive from your another Mac, insert the flash drive to your Mac Mini, and press the Power button. Hold down the option key, then, click the USB drive, and install OS X Yosemite.

If not, take it to the Apple Genius Bar or Apple Service Provider to service your Mac.

Jul 17, 2015 11:26 AM in response to lllaass

Dear lllaass

Thank you for your advice.

I did fix the issue by your procedure.

“Command” + “R” pushing at reboot.

Chose “Reinstall Yosemite” , Start Downloading,

Automatically reboot itself after complete download

That’s it!

My Mac mini is working perfectly. However, I have no idea about root cause of EFI upgrade.

And why Time-machine backup could not fix the issue.

Thanks so much!!

Shinn

Jul 18, 2015 12:47 PM in response to lllaass

2Day i was by a Genuisbar near by. The Genuis said, maybe its just an EFI Upgradefail, and Apple has to Flash it again (Coast 50Bugs). With which tool they do this, and how does this work?. When this is not the solution, the mainboard has to change (coast 400Bugs). Fingerkross Apple need just the first step. Otherwise maybe i will buy a new one for that money. But one thing hurd me a lot, with one click a would lose 400 Dolars, is that the way Apple make all the money or what?! Sad story, hopefuly with a happy end.

EFI Firmware Update 1.8 kill my Mac mini late 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.