Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any advice for compressing SD footage in Squeeze mode?

I am working on a few dance video projects right now that were shot on Mini-DV SD Squeeze mode.

When I encode it through Compressor 4 it looks very grainy, almost like it was shot on film.

When I make a self-contained QT movie and encode it through DVD Studio Pro it's clearer but looks out of focus. The faces are not clear at all.

I also tried encoding through Compressor and bumping up the Quality (resize filter and retiming quality).

I do not know if these should be messed with but the results I got back seem like colors are more distorted and over exposed compared to what I am seeing in Final Cut Pro playback.

Does anyone have any advice for how or what settings I should use to encode SD Squeeze mode footage so I can get better results?

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 3:39 PM

12 replies

Jul 18, 2015 5:42 AM in response to Scott Winterle1

As a general matter, edit as you shot.

if you're going to display your movie on a computer it's certainly desirable to de-interlace, particularly if the content has significant motion.

The majority of DVD players and TVs handle interlacing perfectly well and if I am working with interlaced that is being encoded for DVD, I do not de-interlace. Even the best of the de-interlacing software throws away huge amount of information.

Again, please confirm the Compressor settings you have applied to your input file…whether they are based on the default ("buit-in") t Create DVD preset.

Russ

Jul 18, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Russ H

Here is a screen shot of the Compressor Video settings. I always customize the VBR according to a chart I found on the internet.

Up to this point I had been changing the Field Order to Progressive but according to your advice I should leave it as it was shot.

And I always choose Two Pass VBR. I am just not sure about the Quality settings at the bottom.

Another question in reference to FCP, should I change the Field Dominance in the Sequence Settings to None? Or leave it as it was shot?

User uploaded file

Any advice for compressing SD footage in Squeeze mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.