Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drives won't auto-mount on 12'' MacBook

Setting up my new 12'' MacBook and having trouble with any external drives automatically mounting when plugged in.

I have tried the new SanDisk Dual USB (A+C) flash drive directly connected via USB-C as well as a WD USB3 hard drive connected with an Apple USB-A to USB-C adapter.

Both drives are visible in disk utility, and I can mount them manually just fine, but it seems like those steps shouldn't be required. I have also "verified" and "repaired" them several times even though there are no issues identified.

Anybody else have this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks.

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 4:28 PM

4 replies

Jul 16, 2015 5:37 PM in response to Kurbili

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Jul 22, 2015 9:14 AM in response to beaudjangles

Went to restart it and realise I couldn't shut down my mac to reset the PRAM.

Opened up my admin account which I don't usually touch, noticed straight away the disks mounted automatically.

Go back to user account. Still couldn't shut down or log out from my user account...So I close everything down. Opened up admin and shut her down from there with my user account logged in. There's a prompt which asks if you're sure you want to do this. OK, shut her down with my user account logged in.

Start her up again, reset the PRAM, log in to User, disks are mounting this time. Problem fixed...

Do a Verify Disk as I just did a soft force shut down. Notice that there's a heap of files that need repairing, all photos from lightroom cache which I tried to purge the other day. Dunno if it was light room or OS X that left these orphaned files in a bad state.

Have to shut it down and boot from the Recovery Drive and then repair System disk.

All's well, give it another PRAM reset for good measure and verify disks once logged in and all is well.

External drives won't auto-mount on 12'' MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.